5th day post op, what a difference

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/14 10:28 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Wow what a difference 5 days can make.  I feel much better and contrary to all the bumbs I had since being home things now seem on track (knock on wood)!!!  Day1 I now believe I got a mini dumping syndrome from the shakes and milk.  Returned to liquid stage on day 2 with a shake mixed with water. Yesterday I was finally able to drink shakes with Lactose free milk got in 45grms of protein.  Hoping to up it today.  I think I have this sense of urgency like I need to be better now, but am starting to embrace the small victories and realise it is not a sprint but a marathon.  Pain is subsiding to and am starting to stretch out my paid meds from 4hrs to 5 or 6 and so on.    I now understand why we need a month off work - planning a day worth of shakes, vitamins, calcium, pain meds, nausea meds gas X etc is time consuming.  It will probably take me some time to get used to this routine - like a month!!!!

Hope everyone else who I had surgery with last week in Ottawa feels okay and is doing good.  It would be nice to hear from you when you are able to!!!

Take care,

Kelly

Zizzler
on 4/20/14 10:46 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Buddy13
on 4/21/14 12:22 am - Canada
RNY on 04/17/14
On April 21, 2014 at 5:28 AM Pacific Time, Kel_17 wrote:

Wow what a difference 5 days can make.  I feel much better and contrary to all the bumbs I had since being home things now seem on track (knock on wood)!!!  Day1 I now believe I got a mini dumping syndrome from the shakes and milk.  Returned to liquid stage on day 2 with a shake mixed with water. Yesterday I was finally able to drink shakes with Lactose free milk got in 45grms of protein.  Hoping to up it today.  I think I have this sense of urgency like I need to be better now, but am starting to embrace the small victories and realise it is not a sprint but a marathon.  Pain is subsiding to and am starting to stretch out my paid meds from 4hrs to 5 or 6 and so on.    I now understand why we need a month off work - planning a day worth of shakes, vitamins, calcium, pain meds, nausea meds gas X etc is time consuming.  It will probably take me some time to get used to this routine - like a month!!!!

Hope everyone else who I had surgery with last week in Ottawa feels okay and is doing good.  It would be nice to hear from you when you are able to!!!

Take care,

Kelly

4 days post op

Yes I agree with you, it's a marathon, just started with the home made applesauce and protein shakes. They don't taste anything like Opti. I believe that the bout of explosive trots is simply my stomach telling me it's not used to normal food being sent it's way. I'm tender where the Dr. made her incisions, especially on the lower left of my stomach where the cameras were inserted. I had my first shower last night since the surgery and that alone felt much better. 

Will someone please tell me if when we go back to Ottawa in a week , if the Dr. will remove the plastic waterproof bandages or we do. 

It was nice to see in person the friends that have been made on this site in Ottawa, Maggie428,Kim, and you Kelly.

The care that we received from the staff sure sets the bar high for other hospitals to try and reach. A shout out to Alex and Sue the nurses who treat every patient as if they were family, not enough can be said for their dedication.

regards Buddy13

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/14 12:27 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi Buddy, glad things are going okay.  Did you get a pain med persrip.  It helps.  The bandages you leave on and they will change when you go next week.  If they fall off you just leave as is or put a band aid.

Regards,

Kelly

Buddy13
on 4/21/14 12:36 am - Canada
RNY on 04/17/14

Yes I received a pain med persrip, and it works well. Thanks for the info regarding the plastic bandages. Think I prefer them removing them than me.

Regards Buddy

providence
on 4/21/14 3:29 am
RNY on 03/20/14

Buddy, so glad to hear all went well for you, I knew it would. Yes you will go back to Ottawa for follow up and then they will probably discharge you to Kingston for follow up in a month or so. Best of luck. Lisa

Zizzler
on 4/21/14 7:50 am

Buddy13 - so glad to hear everything went smoothly for you and that you were well taken care of at the Civic.  Congratulations on achieving your goal of surgery and I wish you a nice quick recovery.

Buddy13
on 4/21/14 9:18 am - Canada
RNY on 04/17/14

Thank you very much. I'm glad it's behind me, all I have to do is behave myself.  Do appreciate your kind thoughts.

What's new with you?   Are you any closer to your surgery date?  

regards Buddy

Zizzler
on 4/21/14 10:37 am

No news on a surgery date, thank you for asking.  I tried a new drink today - sf chai tea.  I mixed sf almond breeze with sucralose and sf davinci syrup.  It was really nice! 

Maggie428
on 4/21/14 10:37 am - Kingston, Canada

Hi Kelly, hi buddy,

I am doing really well.  I came home Saturday after a couple of rough nights and I have been off my pain pills since Saturday night.  I still have lots of gas pain but the walking helps with that as do warm showers and a heating pad.  Today I had yogurt and it was wonderful!!  I am having troubles getting the protein shakes all in, I find they are really filling along with all the meds and vitamins..  You are right Kelly, it will take a month to get in rhythm.  I am glad to hear you are both doing well, I was worried about you Kelly with your first few posts so glad it's all good now. Keep in touch friends!

mag

Most Active