Low blood sugar?

Diana B.
on 4/17/14 3:48 am
RNY on 07/20/12

Hi all. I had surgery in July 2012, have since lost over 150lbs and am now maintaining. My bloodwork has always been fine, with the exception of slightly low iron for which I take sublingual supplements. I've noticed over the past 6 months or so, and more often recently, that I will have episodes where I don't feel well.... I feel nauseous, very weak, light-headed, a little confused, and I get very shaky (especially my hands). When this happens I try to get in some protein and something like fruit or grains (or both) and it seems to work. It's not like I'm starving myself.... I eat pretty frequently and try to balance it out. I think my biggest problem is that I eat too fast so I get full easily and maybe don't get in as much as I should. I'm definitely not losing weight; in fact, now I'm gaining and then losing the same 5 lbs every week. I'm just wondering if anyone here has had this sort of thing happen post-op. The symptoms suggest (to me anyway!) that I might be having issues with low blood sugar. I'm seeing the dietician in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/17/14 6:23 am - Windsor, Canada

There's two issues of hypoglycemia.

There's normal hypo - caused typically by not eating frequently enough.

Then there is reactive hypoglycemia (usually develops around the 1 year out) and is a reaction to the overconsumption of carbs or sugar.  You have to keep carbs under 25 grams per meal (no matter what the source).

Which one are you?

I'm an RHer. Been living with it for over 5 years. Let me know if you ever need info on it.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Diana B.
on 4/18/14 12:53 am
RNY on 07/20/12

Hi Dawn! Looks like I may be an RH'er. I have to admit.... I've gotten a little bad for not follwing the rules over time. I learned I can get away with eating just about anything and because I've kept losing weight, I relied on my pouch because I still can't overeat. For a long time my old faves - chocolate, cookies, cake, etc. didn't really appeal to me anymore, but I'd keep buying stuff to have on hand - more so as dessert for hubby and kids. I would occasionally take a bite and end it there because it just no longer had the same appeal. Lately I've noticed I almost crave sweets and while I still can't eat very much, this throwback to old, bad behaviour worries me. The truth is, I feel a million times better eating healthy foods than sweets and garbage, so I think I need to focus on not even bringing crap into the house anymore. My hubby and kids don't have a weight problem, but there's no need to have junk food around all the time. Anyway, I do notice that these symptoms seems to happen when I have eaten within the last couple of hours - and if I started keeping a food journal again I bet I'd see these symptoms after eating too many carbs. I would love any info you could provide on RH and I will PM you my e-mail address. To be honest, I am almost happy that I may have this issue because it's a good motivator to correct some bad habits and eat better. The symptoms make me feel absolutely horrible and seem to get worse every time it happens. I have re-gained about 5 lbs and I am determined to keep it at that. I went through an awful lot with this surgery and I don't want to waste it! Happy Easter! And thanks so much for your insight! 

csmith74
on 4/17/14 1:20 pm

Hi, I have had these symptoms before and I thought the same thing as you with low blood sugar (had my surgery August 2013). It ended up some of my levels for vitamins were out of wack and now that I've been working on getting my levels back where they should be I am starting to feel better. When was the last time you had your blood work checked?

Connie

Diana B.
on 4/18/14 12:58 am
RNY on 07/20/12

Hi Connie! I am probably due to get my levels checked so I will mention this at my appointment. I take the O'Purity vitamins and I sometimes miss my afternoon dose of calcium/vitamin D. I do notice I also get tired and lazy when I haven't taken the supplements religiously. Thanks for the tip and Happy Easter!

Most Active