argg, weight gain?!?!

new_me180
on 4/8/14 7:07 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Every single time i get admitted into hospital, i have a weight gain of 5-10 lbs. It's really annoying because it takes FOREVER for it to come back of for me. I had to have emergency surgery a week and a half ago. Mind you I hadn't been eating much leading to that hospitalization because i was sick, i lost about 11lbs in a week. So I went to the post op follow up today, 11 days later and i've gained 8lbs. I am starting to eat more normally since surgery and my calories have gone back up from 300-400 cals back to the normal range of between 550-700 cals. My doc seemed a bit concerned that i might be falling of track and i explained to him that i haven't strayed and i'm following the plan and because i hadn't been eating leading to hospitalization i had a massive weight drop. Last time i got hospitalized i gained 5lbs and before that, I gained 7lbs and 10lbs. I have come to accept that this is the norm for me and being in the hospital almost every month doesn't really help the situation and the water stays on me for the longest. It's like two steps forward,  one step back. I'm not worried  because i don't cheat or eat things i'm not supposed to but, when the clinic sees it on paper, they think otherwise.

Other than that i'm just fine, feel better and on the road to recovery and for now, it looks like i don't need further surgery, fingers crossed. I just needed a place to vent my frustration and i'm off to the gym to work of that 8lbs. Thanks for listening.

Zizzler
on 4/8/14 8:03 am

Glad to hear no more surgery needed - take care!

new_me180
on 4/8/14 1:19 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

thanks

daisies109
on 4/9/14 6:50 am

Did you recieve IV fluids??? I too had a complication post op and it took forever to grt rid of the IV fluids..  hang in there

Daisies

new_me180
on 4/9/14 11:01 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I did. I'm not sure how much they gave me whilst in surgery and then two more bags on the floor. I can see some puffiness in my ankles and feet which is starting to recede now. Plus i've had to increase my salt a little bit due to low BP. Thanks, i should be back to normal soon.

Onward and
Downward

on 4/9/14 9:37 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Yup, same here a couple of weeks ago. Came home about 4 or 5 lbs heavier after being overnight just one night in hospital. I lost it in a few days, though. Jus****er weight from being pumped full of fluid.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

new_me180
on 4/10/14 3:50 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

It sucks though.

Most Active