cheating on Opti ?

shoshanaApr2013
on 4/6/14 1:38 am
Opti made me so sick that I could barely get down 2 shakes a day. I called my Centre and they basically told me that no one likes Opti and to soldier on (they reminded me that I could supplement with 2 cups of veggies a day... which I sometimes did, but the shakes pretty much turned me off eating for the most part). After each shake I was so sick that I'd have to lie down for about 2 hours. It felt like my entire body was going to vomit if I so much as moved a muscle. It was so bad that the day before my surgery I only drank water because I would rather starve than have another shake.

During week 3, after living off less than 450 calories a day, I had a piece of skinless chicken with some shredded cheese and shredded lettuce on top instead of having any shakes that day... AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN!!!!!! May the Judgers judge.

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

sarag73
on 4/6/14 4:13 am

I am day 5 on opti and the temptation is there. I haven't cheated. Ottawa seems stricter because we aren't able to have the greens that some hospitals allow. We are limited to an additional 20 calories. Which can be from low sodium broth,sugar free jello. This makes it difficult for 3 weeks. I'm keeping my eyes on the prize but I would kill for a salad! 

Orientation: December 2012 ~ Met Surgeon: Jan 9/2014 Surgery date:April 23rd/2014 Ottawa ~ Started Opti: April 2/2014 ~Opti starting weight April 2/2014: 271.4lbs~Pre surgical appointment: April 10/2014 ~Surgery weight TBA    

Diana B.
on 4/6/14 4:33 am
RNY on 07/20/12

I cheated a little. About half way through Opti I had a busy day of appointments for myself and my kids. I should have brought Opti with me but didn't think I would need it because I thought we'd be home earlier. Well mid-afternoon hit and I was so hungry and light-headed I couldn't stand it..... Plus it was almost 40 degrees that day so I felt even worse. I got a chicken snack wrap at McDonalds and ate the chicken and veggies out of it. The only other cheat during my 3 weeks of Opti was about 3-4 slices of cucumber. I was scared after I cheated because I really thought I was stronger than that. I didn't mind the Opti either. Because it was so hot out, I actually enjoyed my Opti with crushed ice and flavouring (ie/ mint, coconut). 

Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

Mandalious
on 4/6/14 4:59 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

I would kill to be on Opti again... That's the easy **** 

Get right w yourself. This isn't a diet! THIS IS YOUR FOREVER, cause the weight can and will come back on if you don't get your head right w following the rules. 

God I would kill to just not to think about what I'm gonna eat and when I'm gonna eat. Smh

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

EternalEx
on 4/6/14 5:22 am - Canada

I completely disagree with the assumption that if someone "cheats" on Opti that they do not deserve surgery, or are not ready. Optifast is in no way comparable to eating and making healthy choices after surgery - and furthermore, it is completely unnecessary. I ate 100% real food right up until my surgery (under the guidelines of my dietician through HRRH) and did fine during surgery. In fact, I feel my pre-op plan better prepared me than Optifast would have as I needed to measure, weigh and track what I was eating - which is far more realistic and in line with post-op life. I also dislike the word "cheating" - this is meant to be a life change, and the word assumes you are doing something bad or wrong. Making a choice to eat something that is not a shake, doesn't constitute being a "bad" person from where I sit. And I have yet to meet or hear from anyone who is perfect and eats only the very best and healthiest foods 100% of the time post-op.

I think we'd all be a lot better off if our Ontario doctors would recognize the fact that there are better pre-op options available, so that people are going through hell trying to drink these things. And the scare tactics from the dieticians and some people on this board are also very detrimental to those struggling (ie. If you eat anything outside of your Opti diet, the surgeon will know and sew you back up comments are bullsh*t).

cutecanadiangirl
on 4/6/14 11:55 am

I have to agree with External Ex. Optifast is full of asparatame and other non-food ingredients that can wreak havoc with your body in the long term.   It would be more beneficial to pre-surgical patients to eat real food instead of this ****tail.  Measuring and being accountable is a better way to go in my opinion. 

GerryG
on 4/7/14 2:09 am - Canada

Hey Buddy,

Looks like we are at about the same stage of the game. I am just starting week three and will have surgery at St Micheals next Monday. The Opti part is pretty bad but I added drink crystals and that made it tolerable. I had a piece of cheese yesterday about the size of an eraser.  Just for some taste in my mouth. I don't feel guilty.

Looks like we are in the same neck of the woods. I live in Brighton. Maybe we can follow each others progress as time moves on. Judging from your pic I would say we are not far off the same age.

Cheers, Gerry

Buddy13
on 4/7/14 3:51 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/17/14

Sounds like a plan, looking forward to it.   check your e-mails.....Bud

Maggie428
on 4/7/14 11:54 pm - Kingston, Canada

i guess I must be the weird one, I'm on day 12 of shakes and I don't mind the Optifast at all as long as it is cold.   Cheating isn't an option for me because I have worked so hard to get to this point but, we are all different in mind sets 

Maggie...Life is too short to hide the sparkle you have within....

HFA70
on 4/11/14 2:59 am

I too put a little milk in my coffee once or twice and the only food I ate that was not on my plan was a couple of pickles Thanksgiving Day weekend when everyone was enjoying chips, dip, etc.

Most Active