Pain meds

happypants
on 4/5/14 1:23 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Everyone!! Been a while since I’ve dropped by,WOW. 

For those of you that don’t know me I had RNY in 2011. I lost a total of 125 lbs (WOOT-WOOT) I am 5’ 7” and weight 145 lbs I go between 145-150lbs but feel most comfortable at 145.

Some back ground: A year after my RNY surgery it was discovered I had kidney cancer. Test revealed a golf ball size cancerous tumor in my right kidney. Within very short order I had surgery to remove half my right kidney taking the tumor along with it. The pathology report showed that there were no cancer cells in the margins. When the surgeon removes a tumor they take extra tissue (called margins). This tells doctors that the caner hasn’t spread into the surrounding tissue or organs. In my case it did not spread therefore chemo or radiation wasn’t needed.

Now back to why I’m here. As the result of the RNY surgery the surgeon didn’t feel confident doing the surgery the conventional way (through the abdomen) because he felt there wasn't enough room going in through my tummy instead I was rolled onto my side and the surgery was performed this way.

The doctor severed a nerve during surgery, I have been in severe pain ever since. The pain is being controlled with Dilaudid (hydromorphone) as well as a pain patch. I am on 4-8 mg every four hours as needed as well as Lyrica twice a day.

The pain management Clinic here on Ottawa would like me off the narcotics because they feel it isn’t working to control the pain and on Suboxone instead. My family doctor has never prescribed this medication, we are both going in blind and holding all our belief trust and faith that the pain management clinic. We hope they know and have the experience with WLS people.

I am so scared that this new drug could somehow damage my pouch. I have searched what I could on the internet but have found NO information on patients talking this drug that has had gastric bypass surgery. Also what about absorption? I am really hoping that someone here has some information for me. Thanks everyone :-)

I know this is extremely long....

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Needanewbeginning
on 4/5/14 1:50 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Wow, congrats on beating cancer! You have had such a journey! 

Just thought, what about contacting the pharmaceutical company that distributes this drug? I did that when I was concerned about my Wellbutrin post op. I was concerned about absorption as well and that it is a slow release med etc. in any case, I contacted the pharmaceutical company and within two days I had all I needed to know about this med.

I found my research on my meds on the internet a little contradictory at times, even a pharmacist and my internist at my bariactric centre gave me conflicting information.

Good luck, I hope you find some help to keep your pain controlled.

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

happypants
on 4/5/14 2:55 am - Ottawa, Canada

Annette thanks so much for this information, its excellent advice. I will do this first thing Monday morning. :-)

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

4-Jane
on 4/5/14 2:15 am - Canada

Hi Ann in Thunder Bay we have several suboxone programs set up they are used to treat addictions to opiates, much like methadone.  If your looking for information that might give you a start.  Living with pain is horrible but please get as much information as you can, before allowing them to switch or do anything.  Congratulations on the weight loss and I'm sorry to hear you are in pain.  I have followed much of your journey by reading your posts, sending positive healing energy your way

Respectfully Jane
happypants
on 4/5/14 3:12 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks Jane! You know something, I'm having second thoughts about all this. There is something to be said about that "little voice" you hear. NO NO NOT the "I'm nuts voice" lol. but the voice that guides us...intuition. I was at my family doctor Friday to talk about this and she had very little information for me.

Thanks very much for your kind words......What an awsome WLS family we have here huh!!

finallyfree2beme
on 4/5/14 2:54 am

After my RNY I too suffered from nerve pain and numbness in my thigh. I was prescribed a pill used for epilepsy called Gabapentin and it works amazing. I only take it at night but it can be taken throughout the day.

It is also used for nerve pain related to shingles.

I hope you find something that works for you.

happypants
on 4/5/14 3:14 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks  lot :-)

JennR
on 4/5/14 4:45 am
Hi Ann. I'm sorry that all this has happened to you. Congratulations on your weight loss!! Terrible about the cancer and the severed nerve. I'm afraid I have nothing else to offer except my wish that something works for you for the pain. Unfortunately you won't know the new drug is effective unless you try it and I can truly understand that little voice saying to stick with what you know and what sort of works. I hope contacting the company that makes the drug can help, they ought to be able to answer your questions the best.

happypants
on 4/11/14 10:27 am - Ottawa, Canada

Jenn thanks so much for your kind words and sorry for not responding sooner. I ended up not going to my appointment, instead I made an appointment with my family doctor. My GP was extremely supportive of the decision I made.  I am very thankful to you and the other posters for their input.

thanks so much again Jenn

Ann

Linda G.
on 4/5/14 6:29 am - Burlington, Canada

Hello Ann,  I can completely relate to your concerns.  What I find confusing though is Suboxone supposed to help with your pain or simply help with withdrawal problems from opiates?  If it is similar to methadone then in my mind it is an interim solution to get through the withdrawal but what is the plan for pain management after that?  I had to go through a methadone stint when my family doctor had me on too much Dilaudid. But ultimately I was put back on it just at a lesser dosage (16mg every 3-4 hrs.) plus Lyrica twice daily and a pain patch.  Have they told you the plan for after Suboxone?

Linda

Most Active