First Appointment Down

bgodfrey
on 4/5/14 4:53 am - Canada

Hello Everyone,

Had my first official appointment at TWH with the Social Worker.  Went well- very nice lady. Gave some good suggestions about preparing for surgery.  Next appointment will be with the Nurse Practitioner in early June.

One of the questions she asked was on a scale of 1-10 how ready was I for surgery (1 being I want to run and 10 being Wheel me in now).

I answered 6-7.  She asked me what was holding me back from saying 10.  I think it is because I still have some fear of the surgery itself (risks and side effects) and the fact that WLS is still only a tool and if I haven't been successful in managing my eating and activity now, what is going to change after surgery.

This was a good question to get me thinking.  She was very supportive and made it clear some people still have doubts as they are getting onto the operating table.  I guess the important thing is to start the process of reflecting on my habits and what I need to do to be successful.

Lots to think about. 

Take care

Barbara

on 4/5/14 6:34 am - Canada

Hey Barbara thinking back I probably would have answered the same way.  I knew that I wanted the surgery and I also questioned the fact that what is going to be different this time.  I realize WLS is a tool and I believe that's the ticket right there.  Realizing just that.  Even though we have this tool what will make it different this time round.  I felt like this until the day that I came for my pre op visit at St Joesephs in TO.  Going through that made me realize this is it and I felt ready.  Dont know why it happened that way but it did.  I have felt possitive that I was going to do this and get it right once and for all.  for what ever reason I know that this time with this help I will succeed.  My surgery is April 22nd and I've never been more ready for anything in my whole life.  Good luck to you as you travel on your journey.   Val  :-)

bgodfrey
on 4/5/14 10:45 pm - Canada

Thanks Val.  It's good to hear not everyone is 100% sure at the beginning.

All the best with your surgery

Most Active