New product: Maple Leaf Protinis

Zizzler
on 4/5/14 4:31 am

New product - looks good.  Has anyone tried this?

http://www.protinis.ca/en/product.html

I find the ones with berries higher in carbs than I would like, but the plain ones looks awesome...

I am going to try the sweet chilli thai one first....

PaulaToronto
on 4/5/14 6:23 am - Toronto, Canada

Have you seen them in any stores? I think they look OK except for the sodium counts. I try to stay away from preserved foods like this for that reason. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Zizzler
on 4/5/14 7:03 am

Googled it and it says they are in stores across Canada, but no have not seen them there yet. Sodium is a little higher than I like.  Just wondering if this is something we can eat after surgery.  I am pre-op but will be having surgery this year. 

19star71
on 4/5/14 6:45 am

I bought and tried the sweet chili ones. Not really a fan. The taste is fine and the portion is good, but the texture was not something I could get passed. Felt chewier than real chicken should be ;)

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Zizzler
on 4/5/14 7:04 am

Oh no, I do not like rubbery chicken either.  Have you had surgery?  Were they ok - not too dry for instance?

PaulaToronto
on 4/5/14 7:21 am - Toronto, Canada

Chicken was one of the last things I could eat post surgery because of its density.  I found thighs easier than breasts. I would just plop 6-8 skinless boneless thighs into a pan, add a can of light cream of chicken or cream or mushroom soup and bake for 1/2 hour or so until done. I needed the sauce to get it down.

You won't be eating plain chicken like this pacakge for some time post surgery but around 6 months out it will be fine.  I find most prepared chicken has a weird texture. They add potato starch and salt for a preservative and to keep the chicken from falling apart.  Check the label to see if there is added starch. You may be better off buying a rotisserie chicken if in a rush although it can be very dry the next day.  I also used some greek yogurt tzatziki to help with moisture during the first year. 

I would make a big batch of thighs on the weekend and freeze them individually with some sauce.  You will only be able to eat maybe half a thigh at first.  

Zizzler
on 4/5/14 9:06 am

I like the creamed soup idea - I love cream of mushroom soup. Greek yogurt tzatkiki, did you make it or buy it?  Thank you for the ideas!

PaulaToronto
on 4/5/14 2:19 pm - Toronto, Canada

Buy it in a two pack from Costco.  It is really good.  

Zizzler
on 4/5/14 11:12 pm

Do you mean the protinis  are available in a 2-pack at cosco?  Or are you referring to the chicken thighs?

19star71
on 4/5/14 7:20 am

I'm 6 weeks post op.

I found the moisture fine, but I have been very fortunate to have zero issues consuming anything..knock on wood ;)

I hate the kitchen and cooking for me is really not enjoyable, so I am always looking for good pre made food. It makes it a little more difficult to find things that taste good and are good for me, but it works for me.

I've learned that with this surgery, there are 'RULES' and then there are 'rules'. Knowing which ones you can play with makes a huge difference in my success and happiness :)

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Most Active