Just got certified as a personal trainer!

JennR
on 4/4/14 6:42 am
Yes definitely something to keep in mind. That's really too bad what happened to you. Which gym was this if you don't mind me asking? In the long run I'd like to have my own studio or have a home based gym, heaven knows I have enough equipment already! In the short term though I could go to people's homes (after careful screening of course) or meet them at the park or something. There are lots of options. I have a friend who has a martial arts studio who lets other personal trainers do fitness classes, I could probably use her studio. Lastly I'd like to develop programs that use minimal equipment so that you wouldn't have to belong to a gym unless you really want to do classes. Doing free weights is actually better than the machines, it involves more joint movement and muscle groups. Then people could do stuff at home and not need me all the time, just when they need to kick up the level they are working out at or need a new routine to stay interested. Since I did my personal trainer course I barely go to the gym, I do a lot more workouts at home.

Caroline K.
on 4/4/14 11:17 am

I started at LA Fitness, which is where I went through 5 trainers in 18 months. They were paid pretty poorly, so had a really high turnover. I really liked my last trainer, so when he moved to Gold's Gym, I followed him: unfortunately, they reneged on the deal they'd made, so he quit. We got a talking to for working out together there, so we went to GoodLife, but got more of the same. The manager there was *really* pushy about having me hire one of their trainers. It got bad enough that now I just meet up with him periodically to get new routines. It's not as good though since I still need some help with form or learning new exercises on occasion. Of course, it's now a matter of principle not to hire one of their trainers, plus I don't want to change trainers whenever someone quits again :)

Your plan sounds pretty good to me...

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

JennR
on 4/4/14 11:27 pm
That is awful that he was treated that way. I'm not keen on the idea of working at one of those big box gyms. I go to Goodlife and I've been approached by 2 personal trainers looking to sign me up but in the most awful ways you can imagine. The one came up to me while I was on the elliptical machine and told me I was doing it all wrong by doing so much cardio and then another one another time came up to me and said she'd be watching me and I didn't need to do so much cardio. I guess she missed that I did a 10 minute warm up on cardio then did 20 minutes on the weight machines and then did 10 minutes on cardio then did another 20 minutes of strength training. I've been there almost 10 months and there seem to be a regular group of personal trainers so less turnover than other gyms I guess. Anyway I don't blame you not for wanting to hire another trainer, when you click with someone you really want to hang on to that!

Caroline K.
on 4/5/14 1:15 am

Yeah, I can sure understand why you wouldn't want to work for a big box gym. LA Fitness was literally around the corner from my house, so it was a shame to move. However, I've noticed that all of the gyms I've been to start off sounding so concerned and wanting to keep on track with what you're doing, but that disappears as soon as they've got your money. My trainer, Ty, is a real sweetie, and it's nice that he's my height so he always adjusted everything perfectly, which the taller trainers didn't always think to do :D The other disheartening thing with a lot of the training is how contradictory the information can be in terms of what's good for you to do, and what isn't, depending upon who you talk to. I really wonder about the qualifications some of them have...

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

JennR
on 4/5/14 2:05 am
Agreed! There is no regulatory body for trainers, anyone could call themself a trainer. Canfitpro is the largest group of fitness professionals and with certification with them I have to show them CPR every year as well as have a certain number of continuing education credits every year.

PaulaToronto
on 4/4/14 9:58 am - Toronto, Canada

Congrats!  What area are you working in?  What is your hourly fee? 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

JennR
on 4/4/14 11:30 pm
Hi Paula. I live in the Niagara area so I would probably be willing to travel around St. Catharines, Hamilton area. I haven't started putting myself out there to work and pick up clients, it's a work in progress! As for my fee it sounds like trainers go anywhere from $40-75 in this area, I would probably start at $40/hour.

White Dove
on 4/4/14 1:44 pm - Warren, OH

I am in Ohio.  My center does have a personal trainer on staff.  She works with the Jewish Community Center and we use their pool and gym.

She has a special group for people who are preparing for surgery.  Exercise is so important for bariatric patients and I commend you for your accomplishment in becoming a trainer and for your desire to help others.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JennR
on 4/4/14 11:32 pm
That's good to know! Thanks for telling me that. I think it is something that the clinics are missing but sadly it is all funding based. I'll have to make a convincing proposal if I can. It is probably a shot in the dark because their budget is already set for this year but even if they found a few bucks to hire me part time that would be a start.

Most Active