SUPPORT GROUP NEEDED

Cheryl1965
on 4/1/14 11:55 am - Pickering, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 11/13/12

Hi, my name is Cheryl, I live in Pickering Ontario. I had the VSG (sleeve) surgery back on November 13, 2012 at Humber River Hospital (Finch Site). The day of my surgery, I weighed 480lbs. and as of April 1, 2014, I weigh 225lbs. I actually had got down to 220lbs but have had an extreme amount of stress in my life, over the past few months, and I am humiliated to say I turned to food again. I had hoped after surgery, food would not be my go to, but I definitely realize I am in desperate need of support from individuals who understand. I did belong to a Weight Loss Surgery support group in Durham Region, but unfortunately it did not work out. I am wondering if there is anyone else in my position, or if there are any weight loss support meeting groups in any of these areas: Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax, or Whitby. I know now, I can't do this on my own, that is why I am reaching out for any help. I am so afraid of gaining my weight back and my surgery would have been done for no reason. Any help, or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

shoshanaApr2013
on 4/1/14 4:36 pm
Hi Cheryl,

I only had my surgery a few months ago so I don't know how much help I can be to you other than to offer words of encouragement.

I'm really glad that you're reaching out and encourage you to keep doing so until you find the support that works for you. Have you tried calling your Centre? They might know about resources you can utilize.

In the meantime, I hope you can cut yourself some slack. You're human, and we're all susceptible to falling back into old habits and turning to unhealthy comforts (at the best of times let alone when we're under a lot of stress). You've been able to identify and face that you're slipping into destructive habits and you need support and redirection. That's a MAJOR step that deserves a pat on the back.

I wish you all the best and hope that you're able to find the resources you need.

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Cherdra
on 4/1/14 8:32 pm - Pickering, Canada

Thank you for the words of encouragement, I can't tell you how much it means to me.  Cheryl

Zizzler
on 4/1/14 5:22 pm

Wow, you have so much to be proud of, don't let this keep you down.  You have identified there is a problem and you are reaching out for help.  That is great!  I am sure someone on this board knows of groups in that area and can direct you.  Call your centre, as the previous poster recommended, they are there to help and want you to succeed.  Realizing you have a problem is half the battle - you can do it!

Cherdra
on 4/1/14 8:44 pm - Pickering, Canada

Zizzler, just knowing people like yourself mean so much. Unfortunately I didn't have my surgery close to where I live. The bariatric clinic actually suggested. that I post on this site. Thank you again for your kind thoughts.  Cheryl

Leanne1
on 4/1/14 10:02 pm - Newmarket, Canada

There is a coffee night every thursday, 7pm at the Starbuck's at the 401 and Kennedy Rd (scarborough)!!

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Cherdra
on 4/1/14 10:22 pm - Pickering, Canada

I would be very interested. Who would I contact to become a member of your group?  How many people meet each week.  I would feel really uncomfortable just showing up. Is there a leader or someone I could speak to about your group.Thank you so much, this is exactly what I am looking for.  Has everone had or having weight loss surgery.  Thank you so much,  Cheryl

Leanne1
on 4/1/14 10:41 pm - Newmarket, Canada

We just show up!  There isn't really " a leader"... 

yes, we have all either had WLS or getting ready to have it. 

I will be there this Thursday. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Cherdra
on 4/1/14 11:42 pm - Pickering, Canada

Leanne, thank you for your quick reply. How many individuals usually go on Thursday's. Where exactly do you meet, and did you say 7:00p.m. Unfortunately I am quite shy, until I get to know people. But, I really need the support from people who would understand, and hopefully be able to meet some new friends. I look forward to your reply. Thank you very much again Leanne.  Cheryl

Leanne1
on 4/1/14 11:47 pm - Newmarket, Canada

There's a Starbucks/Chapters at the Kennedy Commons (401 & kennedy) 

It's  at 7pm 

There' anywhere between 8-15 or so people

Most Active