Excess Skin

jaxie77
on 3/31/14 9:38 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hi all , im new to this forum , just had my info session yesterday at HRH . I just have s question about our bodies after you have lost all you are likely to lose . Im just wondering if excess skin depends on your own personal factors ...age , how heavy , the rate you Lose weight etc . And also ...is there anything you can do Iin the early stages as far as damage conrtrol ? Like lots of swimming or other great toning excercises . Believe me .....I can live with it after 36 years of struggling with my body , and all other benefits come first (I just want my health back ) but I would love to hear other situations and how you made out with this . 

I am 36 years old , starting this at 290 lb , have had on child have always been fairly active at gym / activities /weights. My problem areas (areas Iim concerned about) are tummy , inner thighs and the old bingo wings !! ( upper arm ) 

Any replies appreciated . 

Mary A.
on 4/1/14 2:40 am

I think it rests on genetics and the elasticity of your skin and how long you have had the extra weight.  I am not an expert by any means, but since we don't have control about where the weight is lost from, all I can say is any type of exercise and movement is a ++

I have a friend who underwent RNY and then became very physically active, when she went to her doctor for her panniculectomy, he was very impressed with the muscle tone in her stomach area and therefore he never suggested a full tummy tuck.

I am now 50 started at 323lbs and have kept of all but 114lbs of my weight loss, I am having a panniculectomy in July this year and my upgrade to a full tummy tuck, although not sure at this point in time.

I say anything you can do...is a worthwhile endeavour and you won't know unless you try.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Needanewbeginning
on 4/1/14 4:10 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Hello, I started at at 334 lbs and was heavy my whole life, turning 52 tomorrow. I have done very well with my wls and have an appt with a ps in May to discuss the removal of my panni and talk of other options like maybe an upgrade to a tummy tuck, thigh and breast lift and my arms. I believe its about your age, how large you were and for how long. You cant shrink your skin, once its there, its there. It doesnt shrink, you only loose the fat in it. Its not pretty, but its not as bad as I thought it would be, having said that, its bad enough for me that I will be having plastics to get rid of it surgically. I have exercised a great deal which has been great for my weight loss and has improved my health dramatically but truthfully, for me plastics will complete my journey.

Dont stress it, I dont think anything will help the excess skin. Exercise is imperative on this journey as will tone your muscles but wont tighten your skin I hate to say. 

Good luck on your journey, its an amazing new life.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Most Active