New to this

hibbyangel
on 3/31/14 10:07 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

opti is a magical thing..some people lose a lot of weight..some people lose nothing at all. Seems like the "light weight" lose the least and the heavier you are the more seems to come off. Really opti isnt ment to do much besides help shrink your liver. I was 268 when I started opti and lost 12lbs. 4days in the hospital after surgery I was 10lbs lighter. Try not to compare yourself to others..you will always think you are failing. This is your journey..embrace it :) 

-Brittany

Zizzler
on 3/31/14 7:31 am

I am out of Ottawa with Dr. Neville as well.  I am still months away from surgery and have not received a date yet.  At the pre-op class in Ottawa last month they said take 2 sugar free Metamucil for every shake, and up to 4 per shake if you are having issues. Keep taking the 2 per shake as a preventative. Also make sure you are getting enough liquids and are properly hydrated, as this helps a lot in general with bowel issues.  If this does not help or you are not sure I would call the centre and ask them what else they can recommend. I hope you feel better soon  

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Buddy13
on 3/31/14 7:53 am - Canada
RNY on 04/17/14

Zizzler thanks for your reply. have you started the opti yet. My wife and I attended this recent class in Ottawa on the 26 of March. Wish to clarify a few issues.   I started all this aprox 2 yrs ago. I have had all the tests, will see the Dr. on Wednesday with the operation on the 17 of this month.

The reason That I was there was for support for my wife, as I think she is going to try the non surgical route.  I will try the Metamucil for sure, thanks

Buddy13

Zizzler
on 3/31/14 8:33 am

2 years ago?  Wow, that is a long wait! I have not started opti yet and do not have a surgery date yet either. I am not looking forward to opti at all, especially being at work and doing it. Yikes! The Metamucil thing is from the pre-op class booklet. How long after you met the surgeon until you had a surgery date?  I know each case is different but just curious...

providence
on 3/31/14 9:28 am
RNY on 03/20/14

Metamucil is what I was told to take as well.

Buddy13
on 3/31/14 9:29 am - Canada
RNY on 04/17/14

Meeting anesthetist  Wed April 2, surgery date April 17 2014                  The reason we were in Kingston was for support for my wife, she is choosing the non surgical method.    Everything that was said in Kingston last week, I heard 2 years ago.      It was not a compulsory meeting for me but it was for her, as I was only there for her support.

LilyBugsMommy
on 3/31/14 10:14 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I was 27 months from referral to surgery....I know it is hard to wait & it seems like it takes forever, but I always wonder if it is good when people zip through in a year or so....seems too fast...I believe it is good to have the time to fully learn & understand what is going on & what it is going to be like living with this surgery afterwards. 

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Buddy13
on 4/3/14 10:32 am - Canada
RNY on 04/17/14

I"m trying to get a handle on just what's holding you up. Is your surgery going to be in Ottawa,  Has anyone even guessed at when you might start Opti.

Perhaps a few phone calls might be in order.  If your having your meetings in Kingston, then they should be able to assist.   let me know if their is anything I can do.   Maybe a double dose of opti, in same three week period might help speed things up.      best of luck

Jiliana2
on 3/31/14 9:55 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I went through Ottawa as well and it was about 1 year from referral to surgery but I had no co-morbidities and didn't require a sleep study or scope. Those tests tend to lengthen the process.

As for the Optitrots issue, yes, in Ottawa we are told to take at least two, and up to four/five Metamucil capsules with each Opti shake. There were days when I would take 10 capsules. Always make sure you are drinking your water as well. But remember that no food + water in = liquid out. Bowel movements may reduce significantly and may be more liquid. Thus the need for Metamucil. It helped me immensely.

Good luck; your date is coming close! It's already April!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active