A bit nervous now

michellecowles
on 3/20/14 10:44 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

So I don't know what the heck is going on, but for the last couple of nights I've been having dreams about my upcoming RNY surgery. I am so excited for the surgery, but I think now that I know it's coming close, approx. 3 months away, I think subconsciously I am getting a bit nervous. I've never ever had surgery before (other than wisdom teeth) so I don't know what to expect on the day of surgery. 

First dream, was me waking up from surgery, coming home only to feel like I was overwhelmed with what to eat, how to eat, how much to eat, what vitamins to take, etc. In the dream I felt like I wasn't prepared for post - op, which in real life I actually feel like I am aware of what I need to do after.

Second dream I had was me actually waking up during surgery! I know how silly of me to think that, but I had my wisdom teeth out and I actually woke up during the surgery. So I have some worry and anxiety about that. 

Question for all you post-ops, is there an option to receive some medication on the day of surgery to calm your nerves, etc. before you actually go into the surgery room? 

Just thought I would post this, I needed to vent! So, if I could get any reassurance that would be great! 

-Michelle

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

lalalalaura13
on 3/20/14 11:04 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi Michelle - I know exactly how you feel - my surgery is just over a week away (April 1st).  To say I'm nervous would be an understatement - but I'm excited at the same time.  I do know from other people that yes, you can request some medication on the day of your pre-op appointment when you meet with the anaesthesiologist for anxiety.  I know I'm going to be asking for some that's for damn sure.

michellecowles
on 3/20/14 11:14 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14
michellecowles
on 3/20/14 11:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

hey just added you as a friend on here :) thought we could touch base and I can follow along in your journey! 

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

bikinibound2014
on 3/20/14 11:09 pm

I was given Ativan and a nice warm blanket which helped me relax and went to work right away.  Once you are taken to the OR theatre everything just happens and you really don't have time to panic.  Just take it all in and be positive with the experience.  You'll want to remember all the good things that happen the day of your surgery aka "the first day of your best life" :)  Good Luck!! I'm excited for you!

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

michellecowles
on 3/20/14 11:13 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

thanks so much guys! 
I will definitely be asking for some form of meds on the day of surgery! And yes, I do need to think positive :) 

kimber291
on 3/20/14 11:32 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Yes they give you medications to take when you register. I'm not sure what all was in the med cup now (can't remember) but they do calm you. I believe one of them was a hydro morph so yeah it calms you lol. I also was feeling a little out of it at times while waiting. It came and went though. They will offer you a wheelchair if you feel too woozy to walk down on your own as you wait on the 5th floor and the OR rooms are on the 2nd floor. (I think lol) 

I seen your post about the book as well, thank you. I'm going to see if our library has a copy, if not I'm going to order it from Amazon. 

Your going to do amazing. My nervousness set in a couple days before, and as soon as they put the mask on me to be put out. It wasn't a very good experience for me. I don't do well with anesthesia. Used to be okay, but not so much anymore. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

michellecowles
on 3/21/14 12:10 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

ya im not sure how im going to feel about the anesthesia. do you remember how long it took before you were out?? ALSO, youre welcome! The book is amazing! Some really great recipes, and the first few pages of the book really breaks down how much protein you should be eating after RNY surgery and everything! I'm so thankful I came across it :) 

-Michelle

kimber291
on 3/21/14 4:23 am, edited 3/21/14 4:31 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I'm not sure how long it was, but it was longer then what I would have liked. I'm use to having them inject stuff into my IV then BAM your out. They put the mask on me and I felt like I was suffocating. It was at that point I wanted to tell them to forget it. But the words wouldn't come and then the next thing I knew I woke up in recovery. That was another experience in itself lol. Needless to say it will be a long long while before I EVER want to do that again lol. 

I hope I'm not scaring you, everyone experiences it differently. This time around wasn't a very good go.

kellybelly333
on 3/20/14 11:56 pm - Toronto, Canada

I get nervous of people who DON'T get nervous having surgery! Perfectly normal. Good luck!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active