What to pack for the hospital?

michellecowles
on 3/20/14 10:57 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

My surgery is not as soon as yours but I've been trying to go over what I need to bring that will help me out the most. Ive come up with this list so far:

-slip on slipper with grips (even crocs)

-nightgown (so that pj's dont rub against the incisions

-pillow (I like my own)

-shampoo, conditioner

-toothbrush, toothpaste

-magazines, books, etc. 

-earplugs (you never know :P) 

-chapstick 

-a change of comfy loose clothing to come home in

-sanitary pads ( just in case)

-a robe (I have a fleece one that I'm planning on bringing)

and that's my list so far :) 

-Michelle

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

amerbert
on 3/21/14 1:17 pm

Great suggestions!

Tonight, I bought a pair of slip on shoes so that I don't have to fool with laces and bend down! Next purchase....new jammies! I hate to spend money on something so temporary, but mine are too ratty to wear in public. I'd be more embarrassed to show those pajamas than let my butt hang out the back of a hospital gown!

Whatstoeat
on 3/21/14 1:26 pm

Take along a pillow for the ride home to hold against your tummy. Adds security and sometimes you have a dry cough. Ouch!  

Mary A.
on 3/27/14 2:03 am

I agree with the pillow, comfortable easily slip on shoes/runners/slippers with a good grip...and I pretty much went in sweatpants and a loose top and came home in the same.  Of course the essentials...and if you are a light sleeper earplugs...because in some hospitals the person in the other bed has a different nurse, sho isn't on the same routine as your nurse and if you don't have a night mask and good earplugs you keep getting woken up...my roommate had a RNY and gallbladder removed and was always moaning and ringing fo rthe nurse for more drugs..I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

amerbert
on 3/27/14 12:20 pm

Thanks for the tips, Mary! I never considered that my roommate might not be on the same nurse rotation as me. That gives me something to think about! Great advice!

Mary A.
on 3/27/14 10:26 pm

no problem, that was my experience, but other hospitals may have the same nurse for both patients (I am not sure)...it was just very disruptive for me and I got very little sleep.  I couldn't place any blame on the woman in the next bed she had her RNY & gallbladder done, and apparently was in lots of pain...I was very fortunate and was up and walking the next day and spent very little time in my room.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active