What happens after Orientation - Humber River

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/14 3:00 am - Canada

I finally received my appointment for my information session at Humber River.  Referral was sent in August 2013 and my info session is scheduled for May 26, 2014.  Around 9 months wait between referral and info session.

Can someone please tell me what happens after the info session?  Is there a way to speed this process up at all?  I have had 2 sleep studies (within the last 6 months) an ECG and 48 hour Holter within the last 3 years and full blood panel 2 weeks ago.  Will these things help speed up the process?

Any info would be appreciated.  Seems most info is several years old on here for Humber River. 

1HealthyMomma
on 3/18/14 3:37 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I just got my referral Jan.12 2013, my information session Feb. 24 2014, my first surgeon app. on March 27, 20014 and my nurse, dietitian, and social worker are for June 17, 2014. if there is a way to speed things up am unaware of it. I had everything that could be done before hand done as well, sleep clinics, blood work, etc. I think we all have to just wait for our turn. I feel like this is taking forever and really want to start my new life. I guess nothing worth doing is easy so I just try to keep my eye on the prize. Take care.

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Robyn R.
on 3/18/14 3:55 am - Bowmanville, Canada

My referral was in fall of 2012 with orientation June  2013. Met Dr Hagen July 2013. & began the process. Had my RN, RD, SW & Dr Glazer in September. Take your sleep study results to Dr Glazer & that will save some time. Saw Dr Hagen in Oct 2013 & got my surgery date of Jan 2014. 

This is a process so enjoy the ride. I know the wait is frustrating as I have been there, but the system does flow. It is like a funnel. With many people entering at the top and very few exiting at the bottom.  Over 1/2 of my orientation walked out before the break or did not come back after the break.

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Focal
on 3/18/14 4:57 am - Peterborough, Canada

The best thing to do is try to get on the cancelation lists once you have had your initial Surgeon Appointment.  My original appointments at HRRH were supposed to be mid April but now I just have to meet with Dr Glazer this Thursday and see what he orders for tests etc.   I have my timelines listed below in my signature. 

Referral from Family Doctor - November 4/13  |  Orientation date for HRRH - January 9/14  |  1st meeting with surgeon - January 30/14  |  Dietician, Registered Nurse, Social Worker Appointments – Feburary 10/14 | Second Dietician - March 11/14 | Dr Glazer - March 20/14 | Sleep Test - March 24/14 | Sleep Test Results - April 15/14 | 2nd Surgeon Appointment - May 13/14 | PATTS - September 30/14 | Surgery Date - October 21/14

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/14 5:06 am - Canada

Yes! I just called to see if there was an information session sooner then May 26 and she put me in for this Monday March 24th!!! 

I will be getting on any/all cancellation lists! Thanks for the advice!!

EllenMW
on 3/18/14 8:50 am

thats great that you are getting into a quicker session for sure. I just had my surgery booked, and he was booking for October of this year.  I was going to ask to go on the cancellation list, but I am not sure I could handle the stress of short notice.  Good luck to you..you will have at least 3 visits to the centre before you get to the final meeting with the surgeon in his office.    Enjoy the ride!!

reenie33
on 3/18/14 8:45 am

after your info session, call the clinic (nurse social worker dietician) tell them you would like the earliest available time slot... tell them you will accept a cancellation time slot, you just need to be available. And then keep calling, weekly. They are so good there at the clinic. I did this, I got my referral on January the 25th and had my RNY June 28th (5 months) my GP couldnt believe it. Keep calling, I got this advice from a gal who was on this site and it was the best advice. 

Tina G.
on 3/19/14 12:39 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi there, Congrats on this decision, it's worth it. After the info session usually within two wks or less you will receive a call from Humber Bariatric clinic with apt for at the mimimum, to see a Reg Nurse, Reg Dietician, Social Worker, and the surgeon that has been given to you. Sometimes if you are lucky these appts can all be in one day mine were, but some people not to so lucky. While at the appts you will also be given an appt to see an Internist, my Internist is Dr. Glazier, my surgeon is Dr. Klein. It's at these appointments all the tests they want done are ordered and you follow thru. The blood work they order is much more in depth that your family Dr so be prepared. You will likely have an ECG done a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea, chest x ray some people are referred to a shrink I wasn't but some are colonoscopy may be ordered, and others.

After you do all this you go back for follow up with the Internist and everyone must sign you off as ready to go. Once this is done then you are given a date to see your surgeon and his office and u will be given a date. They are usually booking 7 months in advance, do not worry as this is good it gives you time to prepare yourself both mind body and soul, and educate yourself.

I was at Humber yesterday for my pre op my surgery was to be on the 9th of April but it just got bumped to the 14th. Thus setting back starting Opti Fast five more days...oh well not too bad. opti costs 110 a wk and they out you on it anywhere from 2-4 wks before your surgery. While on Opti you can eat 2 cups a day of cucumber, green pepper,lettuce and broccoli ONLY you can drink all the clear fluid u want and have broth. if u have those veggies raw and want dressing you can only have lemon juice or vinegar on it...You drink Opti 4 times a day. it comes in vanilla and chocolate only, but you can add extracts. or sugar free flavourings or crystal light sugar free kool aide to it. From what  I am told vanilla is the worst flavour but to buy both or your stuck eating chocolate flavour 4 x a day for the amount of wks you are on it..no fun. Be prepared as well to buy a script for after surgery called Innohep. It's a type of blood thinner you must give yourself for a few days a few times a day after surgery at home.

Also if you live more than an hr from Toronto be prepared to stay at a hotel a night or two after discharge, they highly recommend it in case of problems. If you tell the local hotels you are a Bariatric patient you get a reduced rate for your room.

I hope this helps you out, If you have anymore questions please feel to email me. Im happy to help!  Again, Congrats on this journey!

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/14 11:57 am - Canada

Went to my info session today.  Lots of good info, mostly things I already knew but nonetheless not a total waste of time.  

I was shocked...there were 40 people there!  Most of them stayed the entire time too!  I included a copy of my EKG, 48-hour Holter, recent bloodwork, full sleep study and titration follow up sleep study.  I'm hoping this helps push me through a little faster. Does anyone know what kinds of reasons would hold a surgery up?

My question is...how long should I give them before I call and ask them to put me on the cancellation list?  

Freshlila
on 5/23/14 1:14 am

Hello! I was wondering if you got your next appointments yet and how long you had to wait after the info session to receive the appointments?:) I am in a similar boat where I went to the orientation and have been waiting a month for the appointment times, and very excitedly just got them woohoo! Did you call and get on the cancellation list? And have you been calling regularly to see if there's any openings? Thank you! Sorry for the question overload just way too excited!!!!

Most Active