Alternatives to Optifast?

cutecanadiangirl
on 3/15/14 10:38 am

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with requesting an alternative to Optifast?  I have issues with aspartame and dairy products.  I know that there is no lactose in Optifast, but I have an intolerance to milk and aspartame is a trigger for my IBS.  I do not have a documented allergy, I just have abstained from both products for years.  I hope to get a letter from my doctor regarding this.  Not sure how this will go...  Thanks!

Robyn R.
on 3/15/14 12:41 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

Optifast is mixed with water, so don't worry about the dairy. Talk to your surgeon as there might be a very low calorie diet you can follow. With them operating under your liver, they really want to shrink it. Hope that helps

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

momjan
on 3/15/14 1:19 pm - Canada

I wasn't told of a specific product to drink before surgery.  I went to Popeye's body building store and got meal replacement protein powders there.  They will give you in store taste tests and if you take some home and don't like it, they will give you a full credit for a new flavour.  I prefer the fruity flavoured ones like Black Raspberry or Cran-pom but get something that is high protein and low fat, sugar, etc. and check the calories.  They can be as low as 100 c. per serving and up from there, depending if you are looking at the weight loss types, muscle mass, lean burn, etc.....

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/16/14 12:01 am - Windsor, Canada

In Ontario, Optifast is standard procedure.  If you have a documented case of aversion, there will be a very low calorie diet typically suggested - usually chicken and salads. I've seen a few people go through it. 

Some centres are more willing to work with you on this than others.  I'd make sure to get that note from your doctor.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

momjan
on 3/16/14 5:36 am, edited 3/16/14 5:38 am - Canada

I bet if someone went in and compared the optifast to a protein powder as suggested, then took those comparables to their doctor, they would approve it.  Most doctors don't realize there are good alternatives that have no reason not to work as well as optifast, boost, ensure or whatever.......

Sample -

OPTIFAST HP® Shake Mix

Ideal for patients before and/or after bariatric surgery, OPTIFAST HP® Formula provides complete nutrition in vanilla and chocolate flavors.

Nutritional Information

• Calories 200
  • Protein (g) 26
  • Carbohydrate (g) 10
  • Fat (g) 6
  • Sodium (mg) 480
  • Potassium (mg) 800
  • Fiber (g) 0
  • Vitamins & Minerals 35% of RDI
  • Lactose (g)
  • 4EVERFIT BERRY BLAST:
  • 2 Lbs. Black Raspberry
    Serving Size1Scoop(30grams)
    Servings Per ContainerAbout 30

Amount Per Serving  

Calories 104Cal  
    Calories From Fat 0Cal  

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    + Trans Fat 0g  
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
    Sugars 0g  
    Protein 25g 50%
    Calcium 135mg 14%
    Sodium 75mg 3%
    Potassium 115mg 4%

Typical Amino Acid Profile Of Protein

Per 100g  

Amino Acid Qty (G)

Alanine 4.56  
    Arginine 2.23  
    Aspartic Acid 9.50  
    Cystine 2.14  
    Glutamic Acid 16.39  
    Glycine 1.58  
    Histidine 1.49  
    Isoleucine 5.31  
    Leucine 9.50  
    Lysine 8.10  
    Methionine 3.26  
    L-Phenylalanine 2.70  
    Proline 5.49  
    Serine 4.28  
    Threonine 5.87  
    Tryptophan 1.49  
    Tyrosine 2.61  
    Valine 5.49  

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
    Ingredients:  
    Whey Protein Isolate*, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Blueberry Powder, Soy Lecithin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Carmine Color.
    * Cold cross-flow ultra-filtered and advanced micro-filtered.
    Contains ingredients derived from milk.

Directions For Fruit Blast - The Isolate: Mix one scoop of Fruit Blast with 8 ounces of water. Use more or less water to reach desired taste.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/16/14 6:02 am - Windsor, Canada

This has been done.  People have tried to convince the centres all the time.  They get a NO.  You're not the first to suggest it.  The only exception is again when allergies are documented.  There's been some who have been on glucerna or diabetic boost. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

EternalEx
on 3/16/14 2:31 pm - Canada

Yup, I was through HRRH. I have a problem with dairy (Optifast is lactose free, but does contain milk proteins/whey). I just called my dietician and explained, said I couldn't do it and they provided a high-protein meal plan to eat. I ate real food right up until 12 hours before surgery.

Tygerbaby83
on 11/10/15 4:52 pm - Canada

Can you tell me what diet the dietician put you on? What did you eat? I'm on a high protein diet using Vega Sport Protein shakes and chicken and salad.

Aureliemoskwa
on 10/24/18 3:19 pm
RNY on 11/05/18

As of now I am on the 2 week opti diet and I can't stand it and the alternative is diabetic boost with added protein powder that is boost pro just protein one scoop per shake, I did call my dietitian and got approval from her as this is the alternative!! This for St Joesphs hospital in Hamilton ?

Most Active