Gastric Sleeve offered by OHIP?

roper
on 3/16/14 10:00 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hello,

I wonder if gastric sleeve is offered on OHIP for a 42 BMI with no medical conditions?.

Thanks,

Roper

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/14 10:46 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

BMI alone qualifies you for WLS.  To qualify for a VSG, you have to meet certain medical conditions to get approved for it.  Only the surgeon can decide if you are a candidate for VSG over RNY.

1HealthyMomma
on 3/16/14 10:49 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

When I went to my orientation session the lady said that RNY was covered. The gastric sleeve was covered only if the surgeon requested it from OHIP because RNY was not an option for you for medical reasons. The Lap Band was not covered at all.

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

roper
on 3/16/14 10:55 am - Mississauga, Canada

Thank you Tracy and HealthyMomma,

This means that I am not qualified for it as I do not have any medical condition and only my BMI is 42. It seems that I have to go with self-pay.

Roper

OKNEE FE + 3
on 3/16/14 11:09 am

BMI greater than 40 qualifies  you for bariatric surgery there is specific criteria for VSG. . .your surgeon will decide if tge criteria is there to request OHIP cover VSG. ..sometimes  during the actual surgery the surgeon will opt for VSG.

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

roper
on 3/16/14 11:25 am - Mississauga, Canada

Thanks OKNEE FE,

Do you think I should try it first or save my time and go for self pay?.

Roper

Corinne_49
on 3/16/14 11:41 am - Woodstock, Canada

Hi Roper:  From what I have researched about RNY vs VSG, they are both covered by OHIP. Your BMI has to be above 40. You don't need any Co Morbidities unless your BMI is 35-39.  Once you go through the orientation and scheduled appointments and they have a history of your health issues/concerns, the surgeon will decided if the RNY or VSG is right for you. I believe the VSG is preferred if you have any bowel issues (IBS, Diverticulous etc). It's really up to the surgeon. Hope this helps.

Referral Request at doctor's  Oct. 29, 2013. Referral sent Nov. 01, 2013. Received Notice for Orientation Class Nov. 19, 2013.
Orientation Class  April 07, 2014 St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton.
enlightened

OKNEE FE + 3
on 3/16/14 1:59 pm

IBD and IBS are not the same IBD (inflammatory bowel disease ) is one of the criteria for VSG where IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is not.  Your best bet is to research what the criteria is for VSG, from OHIP.  If you don't meet the criteria but VSG is the only procedure you want then self pay is yhe way to go.

BTW if you want VSG because you think there are fewer complications. ..I can tell you horror stories

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

roper
on 3/16/14 9:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Thanks Corinne. That's what I will do

Leanne1
on 3/16/14 11:46 am - Newmarket, Canada

Are there specific reasons you are not willing to have RNY??

Have you been to an orientation as of yet?

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Most Active