New to this

cdn_nurse
on 3/14/14 9:45 am - kingston, Canada

Hi there, I just got my Clinic appt for kingston (March 28) and I just have a few questions. I have been reading this forum but I still have some questions.

1) Is there a chance that I don't qualify for surgery? ( I am fairly healthy except for type 2 diabetes) What do you have to do to qualify?

2) How long does it take in kingston to get the surgery?

3) Do they do the surgery in kingston? If not, can you specify for a certain area?

4) Is the optifast diet really $1400? Anyone get private insurance to cover this? Is this before the surgery or after?

5) I have been losing weight slowly since I got off insulin, now I am afraid I will not qualify because they think I can lose the weight by myself. Can that happen?

6) After surgery how long does it take to recover and return to work? Or how long did people take off work?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA for your replies!   :)

hibbyangel
on 3/14/14 10:10 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

I'm not from Kingston so I cant say anything in regards to that. Opti cost $110 per week that you are on it and that varies based on your body mass. I was on it for 2 weeks...$220.00 for me. As far as I understand the surgery is based on how much you weigh during your initial visit with your center. I am sure that it is possible to be refused but I am going to say that if you fit within the guide lines as far as BMI and co-morbities that you should be able to begin the process with your local center. 

cdn_nurse
on 3/14/14 10:27 am - kingston, Canada

I'm sorry is the opti shakes before the surgery to lose weight or after? Does the length depend on when you can tolerate food again?

Caroline K.
on 3/14/14 11:00 am

They're before, to shrink your liver so it's easier to get to your stomach during the surgery. After the surgery, you're usually on liquids, then purees/soft foods for a bit. Each centre has different guidelines. From what I understand, two weeks on OptiFast is pretty common, but I've heard of some people taking it for three weeks, depending upon their starting weight and centre.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

hibbyangel
on 3/14/14 11:08 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

she's right. it is to shrink your liver and the after stages depend on the center. they explain most of it during a group info session ( or they do at humber river in toronto). As far as time off..that also varies from job to job. some go back in a few weeks. I took 6 weeks because I am a psw and my job is sometimes highly demanding. I was running around doing my normal thing within a week. I felt awesome and started running at 3weeks post op. Best Thing I ever did!

Sara F.
on 3/14/14 12:25 pm - Canada
VSG on 03/17/14

The $1500 Optifast program is diet only, no surgery. :)

Referral: June 2012 Orientation: October 2012 CT Scan: February 2013 Dietician: March 6 2013 Social worker: March 6 2013 Endoscopy: March 28 2013 Internist: April 3 2013 Psychologist: April 3 2013 Pancreatic ultrasound, MRI, biopsy: May-August 2013 Surgical consult: October 1 2013 Repeat biopsy: January 22 2014 PATTS: March 13 2014 Surgical date:  March 17 2014!!

cdn_nurse
on 3/14/14 12:35 pm - kingston, Canada

Thanks, that makes total sense now. But, why would I get this pamphlet with my appt time? Do they encourage you to do this instead?

providence
on 3/14/14 2:36 pm
RNY on 03/20/14

Hello, I will try to answer some of your questions. The surgery is not done in Kingston right now. You will either go to Ottawa or Toronto. The criteria is either a BMI of 40 or 35 with co-morbidities (such as DM, or HTN). The Optifast is taken for 3 weeks directly prior to your surgery date cost $100.00/week and is not covered by insurance as it is classified as a "meal replacement". You will have an orientation class and then from there will receive your various appointments such as Nurse Practioner, Dietitian, Social Work, etc. The NP will decide what tests you will require prior to surgery and that will dictate how long the wait is. Most people tend to wait up to a year to have the surgery. I have been in the process for 16 months and my surgery is this coming Thursday. Best of luck and hope some of this is helpful.

LittleMiss2013
on 3/15/14 10:49 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

The Opti-fast is 1 week per every 100 pounds. So if you are 200 - 299....you will have to take it for 2 weeks. 300 - 399 - 3 weeks and so on.....actually if you are 299 exactly they MIGHT make it 3 weeks.....but anywhere in to 200's and it is 2 weeks, anywhere in 300's is 3 weeks usually.....4 weeks for 400's etc. I have heard many people say they put in for 8 weeks off work. I was in the hospital for 4 days, and was very sore for 1 week after that. My stomach muscles where very bruised feeling. No lifting for 6 weeks. Wait times vary per hospital....but the approx time from Referral til surgery is about 1 year. Sounds like forever, but it does go faster than you would think. Since you have diabetes.....depending on your weight....you would be an ideal candidate for WLS...as long as you are actually over weight. =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

providence
on 3/15/14 11:25 pm
RNY on 03/20/14

My understanding is that the norm for Ottawa is 3 weeks of Optifast, not necessarily by weight as above. That may be the case for other clinics but not Ottawa.

Most Active