just when i thought i was getting better

new_me180
on 3/14/14 3:54 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

So while i'm waiting for my doc to come back from vacation, I decided to ride it out instead of going back to the ER. Yesterday, I managed to have a few bites for breakfast(left over eggs from dinner), half a protein shake for snack and two jumbo shrimp for lunch. It wasn't as painful as it was recently nor as nauseating and I even managed to eat my cucumber salad and chicken for dinner. Since I was only at about 250 calls and not enough protein and was kind of hungry, I decided to have some PB on a thin bagel as i was craving it and i thought eating anything is better than nothing. I split it in half and ate a few bites, boy did I regret that. The same nausea and pain that has bothered me for a few weeks now just returned *sigh*. I'm just worried as I haven't been eating anywhere near what I should be/was eating just a few weeks ago. The NUT called to check up on me the other day and she just seemed fixated on the nausea. No matter how much I told her it was secondary to the pain, she couldn't get over the nausea troubles. Admittedly, I am getting a little weaker and am definitely not drinking enough. I will keep pushing myself to eat and drink more, just hope not to go to the ER again. Wish me luck.

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/14 9:01 pm

Hi, I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I am newly out but I want to say go to the ER.... I know you had issues with the surgeon on call, but go there and raise you voice if you have to and say SOMETHING IS WRONG.... FIX IT!!!! This is your life and you don't want to take any chances. Please go, you need fluids and nutrients. I will be thinking of you.

Zizzler
on 3/14/14 11:05 pm, edited 3/14/14 11:06 pm

Go to the ER asap.  If you don't want to go to the same one due to your experience then go to the next closest centre. I know it sucks but it is not worth risking your health. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

hibbyangel
on 3/15/14 1:10 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

hope you get some answers soon... :( you know my thoughts!

crqvingchange
on 3/15/14 1:36 am

What about going to Grand River Hospital. They could help with the pain and dehydration

momjan
on 3/15/14 3:52 am - Canada

Sorry for your troubles; you you get them resolved quickly.  In the meantime, keep up your proteins as much as possible.  Try mixing protein powder in yoghurt; filling, soft and high protein.  I am over 4 years out and still cannot eat bread very often.  It hurts my stomach so I avoid it.  Add extra protein powder to your liquids; perhaps double the protein in it so you are getting enough while you are not eating......

LittleMiss2013
on 3/15/14 4:00 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Seems like the bagel set it off. Could you be gluten intolerant? Or might it be making your situation worse? Maybe try eliminating Gluten from your diet see if it helps even a little. Hope you feel better soon

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

momjan
on 3/15/14 7:07 am, edited 3/15/14 7:08 am - Canada

If it were the bagel, and it could have been, chances are you are not necessarily gluten intolerant.  Although it's the 'newest' health fad or scare, most people are not gluten intolerant; they may choose not to eat gluten, but usually because they want to avoid the bad white stuff...white flour, pasta, etc., not because they have a real allergy to it. A lot of people think that if they eat gluten free foods, they are healthier for us; that is not necessarily so.  They can contain large amounts of bad carbs, lots of sugar, etc. and be very high in calories.  Think cookies......may have a gluten free flour in them, but it is still highly processed flour, so just junk, and still have lots of sugar......

When I eat bread, it 'scratches' my stomach and makes it sore, so I just avoid it.  Toast I can eat; different texture, but I still avoid it.  I have not had toast for years and may eat one piece of bread in a month....  Not eating the processed flours in pasta, bread, crackers, etc., is not the same as being gluten intolerant.  I hope I am not sounding condescending, because that is not my intention; just that there is a clear difference between the two.......I have heard of people becoming lactose intolerant after surgery but not gluten intolerant.  But then, anything can happen~!   Hope you get it resolved soon!!! 

LittleMiss2013
on 3/15/14 9:23 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Yes, I agree 100%....only reason I mentioned Gluten at all is because I HAD heard of people becoming Lactose & Gluten intolerant after surgery (or so I thought)....however, I may have heard wrong in regards to the gluten...no idea to be honest, and since I don't have that particular issue, I've done zero research in regards to RNY and gluten. I myself was "temporarily" lactose intolerant for the first couple of months, but I believe for the most part that has cleared up....Thank GOD because I loooove me some dairy, lol. Not had any problems with bread.....but when you're sick....everything is worth looking at so thought I would mention it. Thanks for clearing up the gluten thing though, always good to know

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

moemurray
on 3/16/14 1:01 am - Canada

I had an internal henia(twisted small bowel) 2 years post op. I live in Kitchener but I had my surgery in the U.S. over 4 years ago. My hernia was severe pain - no nausea - I could not stand up straight!! I did go to Grand River ER 3 times in the first 4 days. They did an ultrasound, blood work etc. with no diagnosis. I even saw my family Dr., who wasn't very helpful until he consulted with an internist who suggested a internal hernia.

I went to Guelph ER on the 6th day where they did a CT scan. They gave me meds and admitted me @11pm after the ER Dr. saw nothing on the scan and sent it to a general surgeon who seemed to think my liver was enlarged. Both Dr.'s did not see an internal hernia on the scan. At 1 am Dr. Reed came to see me and told me that I had an internal hernia and that he would be doing emergency surgery to repair it. I had surgery at 4:30am and luckily I didn't have any deadening of my small bowel.

You really need to see Dr. Reed!!! However that needs to happen, You need to make it happen.

Most Active