Exercising while obese

aamber02
on 3/13/14 5:31 am

I am pre-op but will likely be having surgery in a few months, I figure it's a good time to start gaining muscle and slimming down a bit. I've been doing well with sticking to a routine and moving more (thank-you fitbit!) but MAN, is it ever painful! I'm averaging a about 7000 steps a day as well as switching up muscle groups to work on every day, I do not feel I am overexerting myself but just that my body is fighting against the new activity. Some people say that exercising makes the feel aware of muscles they never knew they had, for me this is true but I'm also becoming aware of bones hurting. I know you've got to start somewhere but I used to be a lot lighter and the pain of working out was fun, you knew you accomplished goals. This is not fun, it's keeping me from accomplishing goals.

So, I've done search engines and know to keep it simple, switch it up, low impact, etc but: What are you tips?! How did you start?

Thanks!

Referral: July 11, 2013         Surgery: July 14, 2014

Patm
on 3/13/14 5:55 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Anything in the water is good. Aqua fit or swimming lanes or just running. It gives you exercise without the strain on the joints. Good luck.

KristieA
on 3/13/14 6:01 am - Orillia, Canada

Aquafit or swimming of any sort is a great idea.  I found it hard to get past the whole wearing a bathing suit in public.  

I used resistance bands (bungie cords with handles).  You would be amazed at the muscle groups you can isolate with them.  I did it while in front of the TV sitting down to start.  Great thing is you can increase the tension easily, it doesn't cost a lot and you can do lots just sitting down.

Congrats on getting active.  It is a tough road, but rewarding.  It will get better over time.  Keep up the great work.

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Caroline K.
on 3/13/14 6:03 am

I've heard that AquaFit and such is good. I started with low impact cardio, and eventually added in strength training with a personal trainer. I found that really helped, since a good trainer can help you work within your limitations, and push you more than you think you might be able to do, but not to the point of injury.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

betony63
on 3/13/14 6:59 am

I find that aquafit, especially in warm water, really helps. I know alot of us are hesitant about wearing a bathing suit in public, but I know ladies who wear a nice wrap right to the water's edge or even wear a Tshirt over their bathing suit into the pool. To be honest, I've never bothered because many of the people in my aquafit class are in the same boat as me - just trying to get fitter without hurting ourselves. Besides, once I'm in the pool all my wobbly bits are underwater -- kinda like an ice berg  

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

Zizzler
on 3/13/14 7:30 am

I would recommend recumbent cycling.  It's what I do because I dislike getting wet and cold in the winter.  In the summer I love swimming and would recommend water jogging if you want something vigorous.  I did it after I injured my knee and it was great.  I also do weight training with both free weights and machines.  I have a Goodlife membership, which I love.  I find the women-only gyms are generally less crowded and I feel more comfortable than at the co-ed.  As a bonus you can do your groceries after the workout without having to make another stop.  Good luck!

Natyrie82
on 3/13/14 7:35 am - London, Canada

Im also pre op :) and I have been doing aquafit three times a week and 15min of lane swimming before or after the class depending on what time I get to the pool. I found it hard to get comfortable in a bathing suit and for a while I would kinda throw the towel and jump in before someone sees me but once I got to know the people there mostly staff( I couldn't care less about the old biddies for the class )I become more comfortable and I don't mind going. What helped was I got a bathing suit that I felt comfortable in I must have tried 30 before I found one that I felt comfortable in. I also do hot yoga twice a week and there so awesome the instructor knew it was my fist time doing this and she helped me adapt to the moves since I have a lace apron in the way lol good luck with everything btw I recommend deep aquafit its less stress on your joints

sellarsgal
on 3/13/14 8:22 am - Oshawa, Canada

If you are exercising everyday it is probably too much. Your body needs time to rest in between workouts. I think every other day or 3-4 times a week is a good start, once you get more toned and fit it might be easier to work out everyday. Good luck!

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Sweetish
on 3/13/14 9:02 am
RNY on 12/12/14

Believe it or not, resistance training is not that hard on the joints and if you do them right you can get your heart rate up, plus you are building muscle.  I have osteoarthritis in my hips, knees and back.  I lift weights and work my upper body with those and have bands for resistance work outs.  All the while when doing these exercises I hold in my stomach muscles and practice sitting up straight and also holding in my stomach muscles then too.  I had to work with a physical therapist for a back injury and learned a lot from him.  Hope this helps.  Congratulations on your getting moving.  I am also pre-op and I know how hard it is sometimes when everything hurts.

Katie M.
on 3/13/14 1:02 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I loathe exercise, absolutely detest it, so I really have to push myself to get active outside of work/the regular routine. Pre-op I used these "Walk At Home" dvd's, they range from a mile to five miles and you are literally just walking in place, side stepping and kicking etc, but you get your heart rate up and work up a sweat if you make the effort. There's also routines with weights and resistance bands. Now I do the dvd plus I follow a YouTube video for doing weights at home with a little 10 lb hand weight. All simple, easy stuff but effective as I can see the muscles in my arms and legs improving and the increase in energy. I don't think you have to go wild at the gym for two hours every day or anything, but a slow build up lets your muscles build and gets them used to the exercise, keeps your heart rate up without exhausting you, and then you just keep upping the intensity. My Dad always says when your muscles are sore that's a good thing, because you need to break them down to build them up, but if you're so sore you're skipping workouts or as you said you can feel your bones hurting... maybe dial back the intensity a bit :) 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Most Active