Hunger

Solstice
on 3/12/14 6:05 am
RNY on 11/27/14

I am wondering, for people who have had this surgery, does it affect your concept of hunger? Does it go away and then come back after a time? I hear people saying they eat because they have to, to be healthy, but otherwise, are not that hungry.

I appreciate your input!

Connie

Solstice

Katie M.
on 3/12/14 6:22 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

So far I only eat because I have to, and still have alarms set on my phone on weekends to remind myself to eat. I am almost 5 months, so still pretty early out and I expect my hunger levels to change. I am starting to notice some of the emotional eating trying to work it's way back in when I am stressed, but I feel so much better equipped to handle it now and my progress so far has kept me away from the junk my brain thinks it wants  ;)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Solstice
on 3/12/14 10:51 am
RNY on 11/27/14

I like how you say you are better equipped to handle it now!

Solstice

kimber291
on 3/12/14 7:54 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I am 4 weeks out. A couple weeks back I was having a few days where I was hungry. But for the last week and a half my appetite has gone. I am eating now because I have to. I have no desire to eat. I was eating 3 meals and 3 snacks before, now I'm pretty much eating three 1/4 to half cup meals a day plus a protein shake. So I'm eating about 1 and a half cups to 2 cups a day. If that. 

So weird to not want to eat. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Solstice
on 3/12/14 10:50 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Yes, it must be weird, thanks for your thoughts.

C

Solstice

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/12/14 8:05 am - Windsor, Canada

I want to also add that HEAD hunger is just as strong or even stronger than stomach hunger.   Learn to distinguish between head hunger and stomach hunger.  A craving is head hunger, not stomach.  If you are REALLY hungry, you'll eat an apple and not crave a specific type of food generally.  A craving is all head hunger if you read the science. 

As well, when you come out of surgery, for most, the excessive chewing, the slowing down etc are all what makes eating a chore.  This is a wonderful thing.  You are redefining your relationship with food, eating to live not living to eat. Embrace it. Fuel your body for nutrition, not cravings.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Solstice
on 3/12/14 10:49 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Dawn,

I think I know what you mean by head hunger. I have been immersed in projects before-when I was editing a book, so wrapped up in it, I forgot to eat. Then other times I catch myself wondering around the kitchen, thinking what is it I want to eat, something, anything...from what people say, the surgery will "force" eating well and efficiently or you don't get enough nutrition to be well. Fueling the body instead of the cravings seem to be the key as you say. Actually drinking enough water and being mindful of what I eat is what I am focussing on pre-surgery.

Connie

Solstice

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/12/14 12:00 pm - Windsor, Canada

Good stuff Connie,

just one more note:  surgery doesn't force you to eat well in any way. I know people who at 3 weeks out were eating donuts.   There's no magic or special power here.  No force.  Jet choices, following plan and determination to succeed.   The choice is always there. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

kellybelly333
on 3/12/14 10:23 pm - Toronto, Canada

To touch on what Dawn said, following the plan is key. I knew a lady able to eat a medium pizza three months out. I have no idea how she managed to do that, but she did. I went with the flow of not being hungry at all, and having to force myself to eat...as the program stated. Stay with it, and you will do great. Most of us go from one extreme to another. Unhealthy eating, to extremely-strict eating. Friends and family get amazed...and then sometimes are waiting for you to revert back and be able to eat along with them. I went through a period of this in the first year, then went to therapy to learn about cognitive behaviour therapy to get a hold on eating. I still find functions difficult to get a hold on my eating (at this point). Dense protein fills you up longer, starchy and sugary carbs do not. Many of us find this out the hard way.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Jiliana2
on 3/12/14 10:03 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm 5, almost 6 weeks out from my VSG. Very early, I know.

So far, I haven't been 'hungry' at all. Cravings were never a real big thing with me, so I rarely (if ever) had the head hunger that people speak of, even before surgery. As such, it really has been a real chore for me to remember to eat because I no longer get the stomach rumblings of hunger that I used to get.

In addition, because of the restriction I now feel (and a little bit of heartburn which I never really experienced before sugery), and being only able to eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food per meal, I've probably got more of an aversion to eating than anything else. Eating has become a necessary evil and takes valuable time out of my day. But logicially, I need to fuel my body and I take the time to make good choices to fill it with the right things to fuel it properly.

I expect that at some point, I'll feel true hunger again, but to date, I'm making the most of the tool that I've been given and making the absolute best choices I can.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active