Rude person at my clinic

Natyrie82
on 3/12/14 12:01 pm - London, Canada

So I called my assessment center (Windsor) and wanted to let them know that im available for short notice appointments (my Dr. fallow up is June 19 and I was hoping to get in at the end of may). My work is very flexible and I schedule myself. The lady on the phone with me was quite rude saying that timelines are there for a reason and that im right where im supposed to be. I tried to explain that I didn't know and I was just wanting to be helpful but she kept cutting me off and just getting more rude with me. Has anyone else had people be rude to them at their center? Now I just feel so stupid for even calling :(

Laura Loses Lots
on 3/12/14 12:12 pm - AL
VSG on 12/03/14

Please don't feel stupid for calling. If you have a concern or question it is THEIR job to help you, not your job to know when someone is having an off day, or has a mean or antisocial temperament. ((Hugs)) I hope your future contact with your center is much nicer.

m1randa55
on 3/12/14 9:27 pm - Brantford, Canada

Some clinics get dozens of extra calls on top of their already busy call schedule from us eager WLS'ers :) I think maybe they just wear thin, which is not an excuse for rudeness...but might explain some of their frustration. I wrote a letter to my clinic at the beginning of my process outlining my reasons for having surgery, my co-morbidities and that I could come for last minute cancellations. I was lucky to get called within weeks and made sure that I made it to every offered appointment. Part way through the process I send a note card thanking them for fitting me in and letting them know that I could continue to do cancellations. It worked out well for me and probably bumped up my overall time by about 6 months - which is just a guess because the time line varies so much on an individual basis.

Try and stay positive :) All the best in your journey!

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/13/14 12:16 am - Windsor, Canada

Don't take it personally like someone else said.   The person on the phone was probably just expecting a fight.  They get screamed at constantly over the same issue so they have to be firm I'm sure.  Everyone wants to fast track and get in sooner and some people are downright nasty to them on the phone.

Let me echo the sentiment :  the timelines are there for a reason.

So true. 

Embrace the time.  Learn, Read, research.  This is damn hard after a year or two.  Embrace the time. 

Whether it takes 8 months or 2 years for surgery, it will be worth it.  I've seen people from other centres (not Windsor) get surgery in 3 months, be totally unprepared and fail right away. 

It takes time to make changes and develop healthy habits.  Take the time and work HARD on this.  It can only benefit you.  Don't let one phone call put you off. You'll need resiliance in this journey :)

Take care!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Mary A.
on 3/17/14 4:41 am
On March 13, 2014 at 7:16 AM Pacific Time, Diminishing Dawn wrote:

Don't take it personally like someone else said.   The person on the phone was probably just expecting a fight.  They get screamed at constantly over the same issue so they have to be firm I'm sure.  Everyone wants to fast track and get in sooner and some people are downright nasty to them on the phone.

Let me echo the sentiment :  the timelines are there for a reason.

So true. 

Embrace the time.  Learn, Read, research.  This is damn hard after a year or two.  Embrace the time. 

Whether it takes 8 months or 2 years for surgery, it will be worth it.  I've seen people from other centres (not Windsor) get surgery in 3 months, be totally unprepared and fail right away. 

It takes time to make changes and develop healthy habits.  Take the time and work HARD on this.  It can only benefit you.  Don't let one phone call put you off. You'll need resiliance in this journey :)

Take care!

Dawn

words of wisdom from a veteran!!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Steps78
on 3/17/14 3:32 pm

I've gone through Windsor and there really is no "speeding up the process" like other centres offer. The timelines between appointments are set. The most you can do is make sure that all your tests are done in advance even before they are asked for. Those that take the most time are the sleep apnea study, follow up and 2 week compliance report needed before your file will be sent to the hospital. You can also get the upper g.i. And ultrasound test done as those results take time as well. Other than that just plug on, and don't take it personally when the clinic rubs you the wrong way. 

Good luck!

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Most Active