HELP CHOC CRAVINGS

Karenkee
on 3/10/14 10:59 am - Canada

Hi

I'm in the pre-op faze.  I've already met the dietician, social worker, and internest.  Just waiting for my apt with the surgeon at St Joes.  I'm having a problem with my chocolate cravings.  I'm eating better, cut out caffeine, not drinking carbonated beverage, eating my proteins first. I also find it difficult to track my food some days.  I'm a busy mom of 2 with a husband who travels a lot.   Did anyone else have a hard time at this faze.  Am I just lazy or undisciplined.  I know I've to get my act together.  There's a reason I'm at the weight I'm at.  Does anyone have any helpful hints?

Katie M.
on 3/10/14 11:11 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

You're doing well if you've cut out caffeine, pop and are eating your proteins!! It's normal to feel like you should be eating perfectly, tracking everything, all cravings should be easy to handle... But you're not lazy and undisciplined. Addressing these things now will help after surgery, as you know, but it will still be a life long, daily work-at-it kind of thing. For chocolate, try seeing if there is a pattern to your cravings. Are you craving chocolate at specific times of the day? When certain feelings come up? Because you're watching tv and need something to munch on, are you stressed, etc. If you can figure out what the underlying reason for the craving is, that's half the battle. When I was pre-op the best thing was to just not have junk in the house. I was pretty bad and would go out and get something if I was really craving, but hopefully with two kids and a husband who travels, that isn't as much of an option for you. You can also try replacing the chocolate with something else - a hard boiled egg, a piece of chicken, some string cheese. I know a lady who keeps a few (like, 5) Hershey's kisses and will have one when she really needs something sweet and nothing else will do, but for me that would be a slippery slope ;) When you're having a craving, try distracting yourself with ten minutes with something else. Go for a walk, clean something, take a hot shower, do something crafty, put on some music, read, take the kids to the park, etc. Most times I find if I can make my brain focus on something else for at least ten minutes, it will drop that "gotta have it" craving.

Good luck, sounds like you're doing well so far!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Karenkee
on 3/10/14 11:38 am - Canada

Thanks so much Katie - that made me fell better.  Great ideas for me to try.

Orientation-June 17/13, Dietician Feb 12/14, Social Work Feb 18/14, Internest Mar 3/14-Start weight 261

new_me180
on 3/10/14 12:56 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I was a chocoholic before I decided to have surgery. I had draw full of candy and chocolates next to me and I'd eat them every day up to five times a day. When I went for my first dietician appointment, they told me to cut it out and go t-total. I did cut back and only ate one once in a while. I lost 15 lbs in those 8 weeks before my next appt. Eventually I cut them out all together. I was one of those people who thought that I can never do that. I always had an excuse. I was so addicted, I'd eat candy with a toothache, ouch!! I eventually went t-total after that. What I did though, the week before I went on the liquid diet, I bought a whole bunch of things I liked. I bought a sh*t load of sweets, candy, chocolates. Made cookies and cake. Ate take out every single day. I got my self so sick that I was literally sick of food and sweets especially. I didn't even finish half of the sweets I bought and I realized I wasn't enjoying any of it. At this point I had came to terms that I needed to change so I can better myself. 

Katie has some good ideas and you should try them out. I think you'll come to the point where you yourself will realize what you need to do to change and what works for you. I did struggle though after surgery. I was struggling and I was CRAVING for sweets up until I tried some protein bars. I don't eat them every day and only try to restrict my self to a couple of days when I'm really low in protein or when I have a very intense day at the gym. Don't worry girl, you've got this. Good luck

Jiliana2
on 3/10/14 9:55 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

These folks have already given you some great ideas.

I just wanted to let you know that in the pre-op phase, you are not alone. I was right there with you, devouring chocolate like I'd never see it again. And I was definitely a "slacker," with a capital "S," on tracking my food.

In the pre-op liquid diet phase, all that changed. I knew it was my one real opportunity at possibly reaching a semi normal weight range. I want to eat to live, not live to eat. I finally got real.

You're already doing so well in the preparations what with cutting out caffeine, carbonated drinks and eating proteins first. One step at a time. You'll get there. Believe in yourself. You're stronger than you think.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

LittleMiss2013
on 3/11/14 3:46 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I liked the Fat Free jello chocolate pudding when I really needed a "fix". I also find sliced apples help fill the sweetness hole when I am looking for a snack. You CAN get sugar free chocolate at Low Carb Canada....they have a Toronto store you can go to in person, or you can order online. They have LOTS of great stuff for WLS patients (link below to the chocolate =)

However...sugar free, not CALORIE free so.....a piece here and there...not a bag, lol. Some people find treats of ANY kind to be a trigger...so even eating a piece of sugar free chocolate can set them off down a vicious path. In which case I would stick to the apple slices. However, if you are able to have a small treat without going over board, then the sugar free candy/chocolates at Low Carb Canada really come in handy =)

http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/collections/sweets/candy-gum+cho colate-candy

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Mary A.
on 3/11/14 4:50 am

chocolate was never my go to food, but after surgery I used to allow myself 4-6 chocolate covered almonds per day...some days I would have them, some days I wouldn't for me personally it was NOT about NOT allowing something like that it was about learning to change my behaviour and not eating an entire box of them.

At 5 years post-op, I rarely eat them anymore.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active