TWH patients

Carbasics
on 3/10/14 8:54 am - Etobicoke, Canada

Hey everyone wanted to know if anyone has gone to Toronto western hospital? and how long does it usually take? Also is there any test I can go get myself to make the process go faster? And if anyone is going April 9 2014 for orientation?

Katie M.
on 3/10/14 9:08 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I had my surgery at TWH last year :) I think the timeline varies greatly from person to person. I got through super quick, I think a few people who started around the same time as me did as well, but not sure if that's the norm. I was really lucky to get cancellation appointments, my schedule was super flexible last year so I could get to the city pretty easily. I'd count on anywhere from 8 months to a year, assuming you don't have to repeat any appointments with any of the team. Sometimes if there are things you need to work on, tests you need to get done, they'll ask you to come in to see someone for a second time. 

If you don't know whether you have sleep apnea or not that's one test I'd recommend talking to your family doctor about getting. If he/she thinks it might be necessary then definitely get them to refer you so you can get it booked because if they think you need it, TWH will for sure get you to have a sleep study done. Other than that it really depends on your personal health history as to what tests they may need. 

Good luck at orientation! :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Blueiiis
on 3/10/14 10:03 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

So far I am finding it a long process at TWH.  Orientation was in October, appt. in Jan and Feb, now waiting until May for nutrition class/psychology/nutrition. I find it rather discouraging when I see other people's timelines. I try calling for cancellations but either have to leave a message and no call back, or get told there is nothing. However, as much as I want it done, I am using this time to build a stock of recipes and reading/research to pass the time.

libra1
on 3/10/14 2:03 pm, edited 3/10/14 2:04 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

If you are ever nearby TWH during the week, I'd stop by the 4th floor East(before 3pm), and talk directly to the person at the Bariatrics window. Be very polite and ask if its at all possible for them to get you an earlier appointment/s. There's usually a lovely young man there--Andrew, and if he can, he will help you out. Definately get a sleep apnea test...I was very lucky to have had all the tests they needed done within a 2 year time period and this helped me through go through the process a bit quicker.  Good Luck!

Carbasics
on 3/10/14 3:23 pm - Etobicoke, Canada

Thank you so much for the reply's I got a lot of good information, I shall go get the sleep apnea done I will go talk to my doctor, I think I will go by this week to the hospital and hopefully Andrew will be there to see if we can speed this up a little bit, thank you again for all your reply's

Leanne1
on 3/10/14 9:19 pm, edited 3/10/14 9:20 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I would also have a bone density test. 

At my 3yr follow up, the nurse asked me why there wasn't one in my chart. I told her I had never had one. She told me I needed one and booked it. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Foy
on 3/13/14 2:18 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

Orientation was in November of 2012 and Surgery was the last day of August 2013, all through TWH. So just over 9 months for me, but it does vary for each person.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

KerryF.
on 3/13/14 7:20 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Orientation was January 23, 2013 and surgery was October 15, 2013 I also went through TWH  Every minute of the waiting time is worth the results!!

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Most Active