Pregnancy After RNY/WLS

sublimechick
on 3/6/14 4:07 am, edited 3/6/14 4:58 am - Canada

Hello Friends!! 

Long time no chat!! hahaah I baaa-aack! And 120 lbs lighter woohoo!! Life is great! I am so super happy. And this journey has been an awesome one. I have met so many great friends on this website!! And now I am hoping to get some feedback from some of you wonderful people :)  

So my question today is:

Did you, or anybody you know actually get pregnant soon after WLS? I heard that we get a boost in fertility, and the doctors recommend using 2 forms of birth control just in case. I am wondering because.....I have had a Mirena IUD in place for the last 5-6 years. Well, it just fell out on Tuesday in the shower unexpectedly!! And not to get into details but last night in the middle of the night my boyfriend was extra "friendly" with me. And of course as I was sleeping prior, I was not thinking properly, and once we were done I thought "OHHHH CRAP!!!!". 

So I am a little nervous now from all the stories of how people got pregnant weeks, and months after WLS on their first time doing it unprotected etc. I know it is not recommended to get preggo until 18 months-2 years after for obvious reasons.  OHH On that subject--do you think JUST taking the pill is good enough? What do you take for BC if you do not mind me asking? Hmmm....

Just curious....

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!!!!

Referral sent Sept 2012 -Info Session -January 7 2013.  Surgeon (Dr. Huynh-HRRH) February 5 2013. Dr. Glazer, Nurse, SW and NUT -> March 25 2013, May 1st, Surgeon, Patts-June 6. SURGERY JUNE 26 2013!! 100 lbs gone in 4 months!

sublimechick
on 3/6/14 4:18 am - Canada

I forgot to mention I am 8 months post op.....sorry hahaha

Referral sent Sept 2012 -Info Session -January 7 2013.  Surgeon (Dr. Huynh-HRRH) February 5 2013. Dr. Glazer, Nurse, SW and NUT -> March 25 2013, May 1st, Surgeon, Patts-June 6. SURGERY JUNE 26 2013!! 100 lbs gone in 4 months!

michellecowles
on 3/6/14 5:44 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

Hey there! I am actually on the Nuva Ring.. I have been for the past year, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I am still pre-op..just patiently waiting until my surgery! buttt... when I met with the surgeon and he told me that there is a possibility that oral contraceptives wont work..possibly ever, I mentioned to him that I was on Nuva ring. He said I still should take extra precaution after but I shouldnt have a problem with the Nuva Ring as the medication is being administered locally. You should check into that.. super easy.. you put it in like a tampon..leave it there for 3 weeks.. take it out for 1 week. It is the only BCP that I have been on with no side effects. 

Something to look in to :) 

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

sublimechick
on 3/6/14 8:44 pm - Canada

OHHH I heard of that years ago but do not know anybody who took it. That sounds sooo much better!!!! Thanks so much for your help I will look into this now

Crystal82
on 3/6/14 6:08 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

I'm on the patch which my gyno recommended!

Surgery January 6, 2014!

sublimechick
on 3/6/14 8:45 pm - Canada

I did not know there was a BC patch!!! this sounds great thanks so much!!

Nellabelle
on 3/6/14 7:08 am - Hamilton, Canada

I was pregnant 3 months after surgery. I had a failed tubal ligation and I was on the Nuva ring. it is very easy to get pregnant after the surgery. I had a 3 month old baby in arms for my one year check up!  ruins the by-pass. had to ingest tons of calories to keep the baby alive and viable. the first year window for drastic weightloss was lost.

!

sublimechick
on 3/6/14 8:49 pm - Canada

3 month old baby in arms at 1 year check up!!!!!???!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! That is crazy and I only imagine how difficult that must have been trying to lose weight, but having to eat the calories with a little pouch. OMG Well, at least you have your child to show for all the hard work you put in when it was the opposite of what you were going for.

So it is true!!I will see a doctor soon and look into BC....still debating on Ring, patch, pill or another Mirena IUD

Thanks so much for sharing 

Monica9811
on 3/7/14 10:19 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Intake Bv pills just to control my period and they work so I would use them as well as the it'd or ring just to be safe. Hope you didn't have any live swimmers in there this round hahaha. 

sublimechick
on 3/8/14 4:43 am - Canada

yes I am really glad I asked this because I found out there is a ring and patch lol .......... had no idea! I am so silly

I am not ready for a baby now. My daughter is 11 and I have not lost all my weight, nor got a house yet. 5 of us cramped into my apartment it would be HORRIBLE if I were...at this time at least. Later on in life...ok maybe.

I will see the doctor soon and make sure none of the suckers succeeded this one time lol!!!!!!!!!!! So funny at the same time though eh?? Only me.

Most Active