Plateau already??

Girlie79
on 3/3/14 11:13 pm

Hi all....quick question! When did you reach your first stall? I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and lost about 12lbs the first week and been sitting at the same weight the last week and a half. Is this normal? I'm not discouraged or frustrated as I know I see some weight shifts on my body. I have lost 30lbs since starting opti and think to myself "when have you ever lost 30lbs in a month before?"

Just curious is all! 

E

Katie M.
on 3/3/14 11:37 pm, edited 3/3/14 11:38 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Yup, totally normal. You can do a search here for "three week stall" and find tons of people with the same thing :) It's your body adjusting to the quick weight loss, lots of healing still going on. Think of it as a little rest for your body. It's trying it's hardest to hang on to every ounce of fat, not knowing that you want to lose it since it still thinks pre-historically, as though there could be a famine coming any day. But eventually it will give in and give up some more weight. It's tough but try and stay off the scale for a week or so and see what happens, and don't be discouraged if it takes longer than a week. Keep trying on smaller clothes and you'll be surprised that even though the numbers don't move, you're still getting smaller. These stalls will happen periodically, depending on your own system. I tend to lose for two weeks of the month and nothing for another two weeks - but I lose inches the entire month long. Just keep to the plan and it will all work out! And congrats on the weight you've lost so far!!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Catw
on 3/3/14 11:38 pm - Arnprior, Canada

There is a stall early on in your journey.  Your body is adjusting to the new lifestyle.  It's used to getting more food, and now having to adjust to a smaller amount. Even if the scale doesn't move, how about the measuring tape.  It has probably moved even during this stall.  You could be losing weight and gaining muscle with is denser. In other works 1lb of fat is a lot bigger than 1 lbs of muscle.  Just keep following the rules and you'll come out of the stall.

Enjoy your journey!

Cathy

Leanne1
on 3/3/14 11:38 pm - Newmarket, Canada

You are on track (generally 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months...)... stalls are going to happen... some last a few days, some last a few weeks.. THROW AWAY THE SCALE.... It will drive you nuts! 

Your body is adjusting to the drop in weight. You will lose :)

I always tell people before the have their surgery, measure certain parts of their bodies. You may not lose weight at some points BUT you can lose inches!  

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Hanneli xoxo
on 3/3/14 11:54 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
minou09
on 3/4/14 5:03 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I did the exact same thing.  I stall for about 3-4 days every 3 weeks and then it comes off faster for the next 4-5 days.  I assume that my body is just getting used to the new numbers but it is frustrating.  Good luck!

Referral: June 2012, Orientation: Feb 2013,Meet Surgeon: April 2013; Meet SW, RD, RN May 2013; Meet Surgeon again Aug 2013, Surgery Dec 10, 2013

Most Active