Are you happy you did this?

Pamela.S.
on 3/5/14 10:17 am - Canada

Thank you all for your responses.  I think my fears are getting the best of me.  I've been thinking about this for over 10 years!  I did change my centre from TWH to HRRH and I'm going through the orientation again on March 24th.  I too have terrible IBS and it seems like each time I try to eat healthier (veggies and fruits), it gets even worse.

I really appreciate your honesty.

Pam

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

Monica9811
on 3/5/14 10:17 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Pam personally your regret will be  (in my opinion) is that you didn't do this 10 years ago.  It is the best thing I ever did.  We were all scared and nervous -right up until I laid on the operating table. I know that when I opened my eyes in recovery that I had made the best decision of my life and I haven't looked back.  Have no regrets and go for it!  You will be saying exactly what we are all saying.  Good luck!

Needanewbeginning
on 3/5/14 11:29 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I was terrified of having surgery, for different reasons. Go through the process, learn more, ask questions. Do this for you, no one else. 

I am so happy I did this. It's changed my life, given me a life. Without it, I was dying. 

Best thing I have done for myself, ever! 

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Lorieliz
on 3/6/14 1:59 am - Canada

Ten months out (WOW time flies when you are having fun). I barely have the time anymore for being online. I can't possibly say how wonderful this surgery has been. The only times when I have had a problem is when I get lazy and forget the rules - especially water and staying hydrated. If you aren't hydrated, you are HUNGRY. That half hour after meals can be tough some times too, especially if I am not easy on the salt.

I also have to kick my ass to exercise - I love walking but damn, I get cold now! Busy life makes it REALLY hard to squish in exercise.

If anything I wish I had done this sooner. I love my new me.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

melissa_musicjunkie
on 3/6/14 2:04 am
RNY on 08/01/13

I am soooooo happy I did this! I feel better, I look better, I'm healthier...if I had to make the choice again I would. :)

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

hibbyangel
on 3/6/14 2:39 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

I am 7.5 months out. I have zero regrets having the surgery. For me it really had nothing to do with my weight..but the other things like high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, edema..and high cholesterol (which I didn't know I had until I was post-op and didn't have it any more) I slept like crap..could always use a nap and despite my best efforts of exercising I still gained weight. Within 2 weeks I was no longer considered to have high blood pressure, my 3 month blood work showed no more high cholesterol. I ran 2 5km races before the year was out (one at 3 months and the other 5 months post op)I have plenty more I am already signed up for this year including a few 10km. When people ask me how I feel I always tell them I can run circles around my old self!

I had only one complication, just one week ago I had a hernia twisting my bowel. My surgeon asked me to come to Toronto, the team down there took care of me and I had surgery before noon the next day. Lucky for me, I had not let it go longer. I was home the next day and I am recovering with minor aches at home. 

I regret nothing...I cant wait to be healed and run around at the speed of light..busy doing things. Laying around having a nap used to be an awesome day for me. Now that I am being forced to do it..I hate every second of it! The decision is solely yours though. If it is not the right time..only you will know. Good Luck with your decision!

~Brittany~

Healthyjourney
on 3/6/14 3:44 am

Pam, I just joined obesityhelp today. I was looking over the site and I came accross your post. I felt compelled to reply.  Yes I am very happy I had laparoscopic RNY about 3 1/2 years ago. I lost around 100 lbs. and have kept it off so far. I feel so much better am able to do more with my family. I definitely would do it again if i had to make that choice.  In the first few weeks and months after the surgery it is a struggle I admit. Its hard to get all the liquids in and the protein . And I was in more pain then I expected. But Ive had no problems. The only thing I would do differently is I would have had it done a lot sooner. If you would like to read more about my journey I have started a web site   http://www.gastric-bypass-journey.com/  Please feel free to read more there. Good luck

Onward and
Downward

on 3/6/14 10:29 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I wish I'd done it 10 years ago!  After the honeymoon it gets more challenging and you do have to deal with head issues. But I wouldn't change a thing. Also, I'm one more person who has had no complications so far, knock wood, although I'm only 16 months out.

I'm riding a bike after years of not being able to, and after a lifetime of never having the energy or strength to do it regularly or for any distance. Rode it to meet a friend for lunch today, for a total of riding 15 km in one day. I'm so often amazed and surprised at what I can do physically now. I'm no athlete, but I can do things like ride bikes medium distances, walk for what seems like forever, climb three or four flights of stairs relatively easily. I would never have thought this possible a year and a half ago.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

dna
on 3/10/14 7:05 am - Canada

If you asked me the first month out I would say NO ! RUN FOR THE HILLS !  I had some issues with eating and I had some pain for some reason which made it difficult to walk and care for my 3 kids.  Now ?  YES PLEASE !  I am 120 something pounds lighter.  I can do all the things I set my mind to.  Yes, after the Honeymoon stage some things become harder and it doesn't fix your "head issues" so be prepared to be lighter and still have some of the same issues as before (I am a snacker...oh I hate the snack demon !!) and I have ended up with a wee bit of hypoglycemia.  Even still, much better than eating 4 chocolate bars in my work bathroom just to get through an afternoon.

Only you can make this decision !  You can do it :)

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Hanneli xoxo
on 3/11/14 5:37 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

Hands down.. THEE best decision I ever made in my life. not ONE regret. Well, except I wish I did it when I was 30 and not 40

Most Active