29 yrs old BMI 33.3 DM, HTN, PCOS, reflux, hyperlipidemia. St Joe's Hamilton

Patm
on 3/1/14 10:52 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

There was a recent post of someone having surgery with a much lower BMI than yours. He had diabetes leading to kidney issues. They will look at everything not just your BMI. Please make sure they do send in your referral and get reliable information from the centre you are referred to. You are dealing with enough without worrying about weight gain.

I wish you good luck and hope it works out for you

C6H12O6
on 3/4/14 3:30 am, edited 3/4/14 3:31 am
MsBatt
on 3/2/14 1:19 am

I have no advice for you re getting aproval, but I want to urge you to look at having the Duodenal Switch form of WLS. It is your absolute best chance of getting permanent remission of your diabetes, high cholesterol, AND still be able to take NSAIDs for your back and joint pain.

Some people are going to say "Oh, the DS is overkill for someone with a BMI that low!", but this isn't just about your weight---it's about your long-term health. I know diabetics who got the DS with BMIs lower than yours, just because it was their best chance to treat their diabetes. The DS is so very effective in treating diabetes that surgeons in Europe have been doing the intestinal portion on non-obese diabetics for years now.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/2/14 5:22 am - Windsor, Canada

Unfortunately the chances of this person getting a DS in Ontario is pretty much nil unless they want to

self pay.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

C6H12O6
on 3/4/14 3:33 am

I was actually referred to the Wharton Clinic. Upon further investigation my GP is opposed to WLS. Which he did not come right out and say.

Patm
on 3/4/14 3:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

They appear to have a lot of knowledge on diabetes and weight. So going could not hurt. However if you want to explore weight loss I would get a new doctor.

Here is the post from someone whose husband had surgery with only 45 lbs to lose

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/5216091/Spouse-Stress-O ver/

C6H12O6
on 3/4/14 3:56 am

thanks for posting. is there a way to read a users post history ? like a record of all their posts ?

Patm
on 3/4/14 4:00 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

If you move the cursor over someones avtar a list of operations comes up. You can hit posts. You can also pm someone directly by going to their member page

Most Active