29 yrs old BMI 33.3 DM, HTN, PCOS, reflux, hyperlipidemia. St Joe's Hamilton

C6H12O6
on 3/1/14 10:14 am
C6H12O6
on 3/1/14 10:16 am
On March 1, 2014 at 3:55 PM Pacific Time, So_Jaded wrote:

that's a sure way to get ahead of the line, huh ?

please don't judge the other poster for suggesting this.

I am suffering greatly, my skin is in terrible condition due to infusion sets that get over 100 units of insulin infused in them in 24 hours. my abdomen is in very bad shape from the infusion sets, metal CGM sensors, and adhesive which I am allergic to.

I assume your BMI is over 35 or 40 since you did not face this barrier. I think it is silly to exclude someone based on a BMI discrepancy alone. I hope they also use the bod pod and track body fat percent.

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 10:31 am

they use a regular electronic scale. They go by "one mold fits all" approach, judging by my interaction with the centre. Here is eligibility criteria, here is the surgery. Done. If you feel you need to gain to qualify, it's your choice. I would think that being roughly 30 kg overweight, you can do it on your own. I lost same amount just adding metformin when I was getting ready for IVF

C6H12O6
on 3/1/14 10:35 am

I've been on met since 2001, I am on the max dose. The 100 plus units of insulin a day are probably not helping issues.

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 10:45 am

you are quite close to suggested BMI and your list of issues plus family history will obviously matter. I wouldn't go gaining weight just as a precaution. There would be that much more to lose after

bonefish
on 3/1/14 9:10 pm

Unfortunately OHIP is black and white. Your BMI must be above 35 - period. If your referral went in with a BMI of 33, it will probably get screened out before you even get assigned to a centre. And current they do not prioritize surgery based on health issues. 

BUT... 

A little birdie told me that Ontario is looking at considering BMI < 35 for extreme diabetic patients, and St Joes will be the only centre doing it. Not sure when that is starting, so you might just be in luck!

C6H12O6
on 3/2/14 12:05 am

I guess OHIP would prefer to pay for me to be on dialysis. :( 

bonefish
on 3/2/14 12:09 am

It's silly that they still use BMI as a criteria, but that's still how they do it. Still though, get your referral in and see what happens. Clearly you'd meet the diabetes criteria if the BMI 30-35 thing happens soon. 

Ninalynn24
on 3/4/14 9:44 am - Canada

St Joes is starting up a studying on diabetics having surgery. Started in December 2013. You may have good chances there!

birdiegirl
on 3/2/14 1:05 am

I heard the same info re St Joes and BMI

Most Active