Diet Pop

seebs
on 2/26/14 5:00 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

I friends who had the surgery I see they drink pop I though that was a big no no ???

im one year post op so it ok once your one year out ?

thanks

Laurie C.
on 2/26/14 5:52 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hello

no, no, no, you're off it so why go back anyway!!

aren't you burpy enough, lol

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Julia P.
on 2/26/14 5:53 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

I was a HUGE Diet Coke addict prior to surgery.  I am now over a year out and haven't touched it.  I have made many other eating mistakes, eating things I shouldn't, but I've really been strict when it comes to carbonated beverages.  I have not been told that it is ever okay to start again.

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

Foy
on 2/26/14 9:20 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

My clinic says no... so I haven't had pop since August 2013. 

I do know some people 4 years out may have 1/2 a pop every few months. But my goal is just to stay away from it.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

SuzieQ11
on 2/26/14 9:27 am - Whitby, Canada

Don't do it!!!  The pop has bubbles, creating gas, which in turn could stretch your pouch, or in the very least could cause you a great deal of pain. 

Just say no to bubbles!!! 

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

Patm
on 2/26/14 10:51 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

A couple of times my husband has asked to taste something carbonated. Both time I just felt irritation from the carbonation. Not to mention the gas

cutekatie
on 2/26/14 11:18 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Carbonated drinks do not stretch your pouch.

Different people have different tolerances to pop, coffee, certain foods, etc. For example I can not eat eggs. It causes me to vomit. There is nothing wrong with eggs, they are healthy, I simply can't have them.

Same with pop. Some people can tolerate it, others can't.

Ottawa's book says no carbonated drinks but when I asked the NP she said that it's more that we don't know a safe level of aspartame so it's best to stay away.

It annoys me how many people say how bad carbonated drinks are but the same negativity isn't discussed when it comes to drinking alcohol...

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Solstice
on 2/26/14 7:49 pm
RNY on 11/27/14

I am a diet coke drinker. I just saw a nutritionist yesterday for my first visit. She asked me if I knew why you are told not to drink diet coke. I said I did not know, with my sad face. She said the carbonation, which is gas bubbles, will stretch the pouch, and affect the integrity of the seams. The surgeon does not want their work to be jeopardized from something so simple to change.  So, I will need to wean myself off this favourite bevvie. Having a drink of water right now. Worth it? I think so. 

birdiegirl
on 2/26/14 9:19 pm

I think there is a big difference between the first few years out while you are losing....and post 2.5 - 3 years post op

I have avoided diet pop for 5 years.....early on I read about too many who didn't reach goal and they blamed it on the diet soda.....I have no idea if there is science to back this up.....I just wanted to ensure I made optimum use of those first 18 months so I did not drink diet or carbonated drinks or alcohol

Now at 5 years post op.....I really enjoy an occasional glass of wine or low carb beer......its not a trigger for me.....I can have one glass of wine..... occasionally 2 if over a long period of time.....but it hits me hard and I never drive when imbibing.....

...so I think there is negativity for both alcohol and soda.....and many variables for each.....if you are at goal and far enough out from surgery.....then I think its your choice.....If I was not at goal.....I would avoid both

kellybelly333
on 2/26/14 9:47 pm - Toronto, Canada

I will have Diet Coke, maybe twice a month. And about 1/2 a can. You can't guzzle like you used to. I waited until goal. It's not my trigger. Potato chips do not come into my home (unless it's for a kid's party...four times a year....and if I don't throw out the bags after, I'm in trouble). Oh and those homemade oatmeal cookies. They don't belong in my house either. No control. :-)

I did have a beer at 7 a.m. last Sunday. I don't really like beer, but there is one by Mill Street that I don't mind. It took me two periods of the hockey game to fini**** :-)

I'm curious to know if anyone gets re-addicted to Diet Coke. I find the amount of surgery folks who love Diet Coke interesting. I don't see many people saying they love Diet Pepsi.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active