Colonoscopy prep

Susan_T
on 2/23/14 11:58 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I will be using bi-PegLyte bowel prep kit to prepre for a colonoscopy. I confirmed with the nurse at the weight management clinic that it was ok to use... but I'm sure the pills and liquid will go through an RNY person differently so i'm a bit nervous. Has anyone else used this and was it 'successful'? Thanks for any feedback.

reliena
on 2/24/14 9:10 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Can I make a suggestion? Ask your gastroenterologist or whoever is doing the procedure if you can use Pico Salax. I am pre-op, but have had 4 or 5 colonoscopies in 10 years (I have Crohn's disease in remission) and have had all kinds of prep. Enema's (when in the hospital), the dreaded PegLyte, another terrible one (I banish the thought and name forever****il the last two times when my GP discovered Pico Salax. I just did this on Friday.

The reason I suggest PS over PL in a HUGE way for you is for various reasons. 1)Quantity - PegLyte means 4 litres, twice,  to get down, Pico Salax is 150mL twice, with whatever clear liquid you want to drink between, and that is about 1.5-2L over the course of four hours. 2) Taste - PegLyte tastes like disgusting, salty chemical fruit punch. I can't imagine going through that again. Pico Salax is either orange or cranberry flavoured and is really not terrible, but even if it is, you drink less than a cup at a time! Then it's crystal light, broth, juice, whatever you feel like that is clear, and water.

My instructions from the clinic also said PegLyte, so I called up my GE's office and sure enough, they were totally fine with Pico Salax after I mentioned I used it last time and preferred it. If it gets you cleaned out, it's good to use!

Referral 08/13, Orientation TWH 09/18/13, SW 09/26/13, NP 09/26/13, Surgeon Appt 12/13/13, MRI 01/06/14, Nut Class 01/14/14, Nut 01/20/14, Scopes 02/21/14, Psych 02/25/14, Dr. Urbach 03/28/14, PATTS 04/15/14, SURGERY 05/06/14!!! 

Susan_T
on 2/25/14 9:16 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks so much for your response. I will look into this for sure! :)

Most Active