Not 1 but 2 surgeries.

Cottagenanny
on 2/17/14 8:58 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Hi everyone.  I had my surgery on Feb. 3 at TWH and woke up in my room in the afternoon.  Not feeling too bad but still in quite a bit of pain.  My hubby helped me get to the washroom many times and figured I'd be okay when he left later that night.  Then the pain started to intensify, and it started getting harder to breathe.  I called the nurse to help me get to the washroom, I was so dizzy - she tried to get me out of bed but I collapsed on the floor.  They called for help to get me back to bed but by then I was out of it, all I remember is doctors asking where I was, what year it was -- some questions I could answer others I couldn't.  They tried to get a blood pressure and it was so low, and trying to get blood was too difficult, they ended up taking me back in for a second surgery - they found I was bleeding internally - that's why the intense pain.  They didn't have enough time to contact my husband so when he came with my sister for a visit on Tues the 4th and they had put someone else in my room he freaked out.  No one could tell him anything at first, glad my sis was there with him and helped find someone who could tell them what was going on.  Ended up in ICU for 4 days, 3 of those on a ventilator - not pretty I tell you.  Didn't get back to a room until the 7th.  Took a lot longer to heal and get on track.  So my 2 night stay turned into an 8 day stay.  Have to say they did take great care of me there, but not an adventure I want to ever repeat again.

I've been hope a week now and walking around the house not too bad, if going out I use a walker for safety.  I am having a little difficulty eating - not too hungry.  Anyone out there in the first and second week of liquid stage - what are you eating?  Any hints - I'm eating yogurt, apple sauce, tomato soup. cottage cheese.

Anyone reading this - please don't be put off the surgery, it was a fluke what happened, and I would do it again.  I have been home a week and have lost 10.5lbs - it's a great start for me. :)

Thanks to all for the encouragement put forward from the beginning of the journey up until now, I will keep on going.

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

Leanne1
on 2/17/14 9:07 am - Newmarket, Canada

Wow!! Glad you are ok!! 

A little bit of a rough start but you are doing better now. Keep your eye on the prize ;-)

Glad you are home now and can get your journey underway :-)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Yoyo4life
on 2/17/14 9:15 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

Sorry to hear that the beginning of ur journey wasn't the greatest but I hope u heal fine and that that experience won't hold u back from significant weight loss that is sure to come down the road ahead

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

Zizzler
on 2/17/14 9:23 am

Glad to hear you are feeling better and wish you a speedy recovery.

kristaeb
on 2/17/14 9:48 am

Glad to hear your home and doing much better. Sending healing thoughts your way...Krista...

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/14 9:54 am

Glad you are feeling better, sounds horrific. Was it a leak or an actual bleeding ?

RidingFan
on 2/17/14 10:36 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

Glad you are on the road to recovery....sending healing thoughts!   Sounds like what you are eating is pretty good based on the timeline. How do you feel about cream of wheat or porridge? All the best!

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Patm
on 2/17/14 12:10 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Glad you are on thew road to recovery. Hope all goes well now

Jiliana2
on 2/17/14 11:58 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I had my surgery the same day as you so I'm just two weeks out. Wow, you had a rough start for sure! I'm glad they caught that internal bleeding though and you're well and truly on the mend now. Be gentle with yourself. It's not easy, but it'll all be worth it! 

I've gone through the applesauce, yogourt, soups stage and I'm still relying on those as needs be. However, I've also added in pureed homemade turkey soup, baked beans, and a very liquid chili as well. Last night I had about 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes with unflavoured protein powder added in (soooo easy to do!) and I've had a bit of oatmeal and cream of wheat as well. In the first 10 days or so, I was struggling to get in my protein. I was subsisting on about 300 cals per day and about 40 g of protein. My follow-up appointment with the clinic post-surgery was great except for the fact that I was told I need to work harder to get the protein in. Now I'm getting about half of my daily protein from protein shakes, and the rest through food or food with added protein powder. 

Wishing you lots of luck on your journey; hopefully there will be no other issues! 

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Amarachi
on 2/18/14 6:37 am - Canada

I am so sorry to hear that you had such a rough start.  Thankfully they found and fixed the problem.  I am praying you have a speedy recovery and have an amazing weight loss journey.  You have an amazing attitude even with everything you have gone through.  I loved cup of soup and put it in a thermos and poured it into my medicine cups, i did not eat the noodles but loved the broth and it is low calorie and soothing.  I also loved ricotta cheese bake, the recipe is online here at OH by eggface. 

Jacquie

Orientation HRRH Oct 21,13 / Surgeon Nov 1,13 / SW,RD,RN, Internist Dec 3,13 / PATTS Jan 14,14 / Surgery Jan 20,14

Most Active