ADJUSTING TO CPAP

Zizzler
on 2/16/14 4:33 am

I have to say I really struggled with it and hated it at first, which was 10 years ago. I would tear it off in the middle of the night in frustration it was so annoying to me, felt like I was being smothered or something.  After a month or so it got easier and I did notice I slept better with it on, but for the first months I struggled to use it consistently.  I would use it for a while, feel better, then stop, start to feel miserable, then start using it again. Glad I stuck with it though, as it makes a huge difference.  I too get a sore throat if I sleep without it - I think that is normal.  My advice is to get the most comfortable mask you can - it will help a lot. I had a really heavy uncomfortable one when I first started but they have improved a lot since then.  Also recommend softies, which are soft covers for the side of your face so you get less marks from sleep.  They sell them where they sell the machines.  If you want to ask me anything just go right ahead.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

billmacc7
on 2/16/14 5:13 am - MA

I have had the CPAP machine for over about 8 years or so...Even after losing 150 lbs still diagnosed w/ sleep apnea so still using it...I know it is a hassle at first, but now that I use it I def feel it when I don't...best of luck w/it

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/14 9:13 pm - Canada

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  Night three was somewhat better than nights one and two, its obviously going to be a bit of a transition.  I realized that the strap had flipped over a bit on the back of my head as it wasn't tight enough.  Before night 2, I took the whole thing apart to clean the nose/mouth thing (which was a bit of overkill as I could have just wiped it down) and without realizing it put it back together upside down.  Was tired and didn't look at the diagram....got into bed and for the first hour couldn't realize why there was such air leaks coming from it, was like being in a windstorm!  Got up at 1:30 took it off, put my glasses on, would have laughed at myself when I looked at the diagram but was too grumpy and sleep deprived, and put it back together correctly.  Much better!  I guess like everything else in this crazy journey it takes both PATIENCE and PERSEVERANCE!

Most Active