Exercise - really?

SuzieQ11
on 2/12/14 9:21 am - Whitby, Canada

I'm a month post-op and feel great! I'm ready to increase my activity level, but I'm frustrated after my one month follow up today at HRRH. The proper post op protocol states that you shouldn't do any exercise that engages your core (including eliptical, yoga etc) for 6 months after surgery. Isn't the first 6 months our opportunity to really work this tool?

I feel good, and able to do more than walk on a treadmill. Walking is the worst thing for me with an achilles tendon injury - I'd do better with eliptical and weight machines (even if I have to keep the weight level down for now).

What has been your experience with exercise?

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

franky13
on 2/12/14 9:39 am

I did aquafit, walking and stat. bike....lost at a good rate...no core or weightlifting until now, 6 month clearance.  You may feel great but your insides are healing and you dont want to risk a tear/hurnia etc...Good luck!

Referred September 2012, HHRH Orientation December 2012, Meet with surgeon January 2013, Meet with and testing with Dr Glazer May 2013, PATTS July 4, 2013 - 325lbs, Surgery HRRH August 1st, 2013 - 299lbs, second surgery late August 2nd to drain fluid, Discharged August 5th - 294lbs, reached 1/2 way to goal at 16 wks, MOM of three kids, married for 13 years :)

Katie M.
on 2/12/14 9:44 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Oh trust me, you do not want to strain one of those healing muscles in your core! I did that around the one month-six week mark and it was excruciating pain. The muscles they had to cut through take a long time to heal up. TWH says a minimum of four months. I know you feel great, which is awesome, but remember there are major repairs still going on inside :) It doesn't take much to overdo it - I pulled my muscle just carrying in groceries that were too heavy. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

SuzieQ11
on 2/12/14 10:18 am - Whitby, Canada

Thanks ladies.... I needed that!

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

Crystal82
on 2/12/14 8:43 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

I've been working out since week 3 post opt at my one month follow up with my surgeon the first questioned he asked me was "are u exercising?" I told him yes and and I explained what I was doing (treadmill, bike and elliptical) . He said keep it up! I asked about weights and he said to gradually increase it and do what I feel comfortable with and to listen to my body. So that's what I do. Now I'm not doing any major core exercises I'm not an idiot so everything else is getting a good workout and the cardio will have to do for now for my tummy. HRRH was shocked when I told them I was working out and I said the surgeon and I spoke about it and I was fine. Maybe talk to your surgeon and see what he says. I know myself I can't just wait around for the fat to come off I want to use this tool to the best of my abilities! And if that means being in the gym 5 days a week I am gonna work it lol. Good luck!

Surgery January 6, 2014!

Hanneli xoxo
on 2/12/14 9:38 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

I thought it was 6 weeks post op.. not 6 months!?

NorthernStar
on 2/12/14 11:00 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I remember those exercise guidelines from HRRH. They are definitely on the conservative side. My surgeon said 6 weeks after surgery, I was good to go for anything I wanted to do. It's your decision, whatever you do make sure you warm up properly and don't push too hard to avoid injury. There's really no reason you can't 'engage your code' - your core muscles support you in everything you do already.

Post-op I walked a lot, and at 6 weeks out I started working out with DVDs at home. You mentioned you feel you're able to more, so I say go for it and don't be afraid to challenge yourself.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Monica M.
on 2/13/14 12:16 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

i'm having a kidney out in march, my surgeon told me exercise at 4 weeks (jogging, elliptical), but no lifting over 10lbs, due to risk of hernia.

kimber291
on 2/15/14 10:26 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

You should have come to visit!!! I went in the 11th!! 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Most Active