anyone had their appendix removed along with surgery ? :)

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/14 6:14 am, edited 2/9/14 6:45 am

i know its a silly question. But mine is still intact and you cant have it electively. So I thought i am already there, why not have the whole cleanup ? :)

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/14 6:27 am

Why would you want your appendix out?? If they are not be bothersome to you, leave them alone, also this surgery isnt a surgery that you can pick and choose what you want to have removed...

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/14 6:43 am, edited 2/9/14 6:44 am

appendix can burst at any moment. It's a very unstable rudimental organ. It was just a thought, they do take gallbladders out right there, don't they ?

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/14 7:58 am

They won't remove anything unless it's a problem.  Some surgeons have removed gallbladder at same time as RNY or VSG if the patient was having issues.  The only people I ever saw getting appendix out at same time as WLS are people that used to go to Dr. Lu for DS but that was many years ago when out of country was done more often than not.

Patm
on 2/9/14 10:53 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I think the thought is the more they remove the more complications can arise and the more recovery. I still have both my appendix and gall bladder

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/14 11:03 pm

thank you all for replies. I guess will keep it for now :( The only time you can have it out electively is when you are going for an expedition to Antarctica for example. Something to put on the list on my post-op goals :))

Ottawa34
on 2/12/14 12:11 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I had mine removed 1 yr after RNY ... I was developing stones.   They won't remove it unless absolutely necessary :)

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Most Active