No Support

Steps78
on 2/10/14 1:08 pm

I believe individuals here are referring to medical support. I have no idea how the surgical process works in Mexico but here you would need to get a list of tests done previous to any WLS. Also, the bariatric clinics have medical teams that we are to meet with pre and post op. These include endocrinologists, dieticians, social workers, nurses, psychologists and probably some others I'm forgetting lol. I find this support to be very beneficial to the whole process. I'm not sure if you would be able to attend a bariatric clinic if you had surgery in Mexico. It would be a good idea to find out beforehand. Btw I've had a VSG and am very happy with it. 

Good luck!

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Patm
on 2/6/14 10:07 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

The company that originally sold the lapband sold off their product. Many people on the forums have had their lapband re done into a RNY. It appears to be old technology now.

I have had great support from my hospital and local support groups. Most of the centres are invested in making the program work so health care continues to fund it. Not sure if there is a group in Port Perry. I have never regretted the rny and the help I have received from TWH

Catw
on 2/6/14 10:18 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Do your research on all types of sugery, find out the good, the bad and the ugly.  They all have these qualities.  Then you can make an educated decision.

As for dumping (throwing up/diarrea), you can do that with any bariatric surgery.  If it's constant, then there are issues that need to be looked at as it means there is probably some kind of complication.  Some people never dump, some people dump on a small amount of trigger foods/meds.  Once you find the trigger, you learn to avoid it.

Personally, I didn't want the lapband.  I didn't think it would work for me, and didn't want to have to have it adjusted until it was working.

With any of the gastric surgeries, you have to remember it's a tool, not a magic wand.  Will you throw up?  Maybe, maybe not.  Some people never dump, some people dump on a small amount of trigger.

I wish you luck on your journey,

Cathy

Most Active