Buyer's remorse

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/14 9:30 pm, edited 2/2/14 9:39 pm

did anyone have that ? I have read that there is a hormone out of balance party after the surgery, so people get emotional and question their choices. But if you are in the sound mind, making consious observations, do you regret having your body rearranged on your own free will ?

Northernlightsmom
on 2/2/14 9:38 pm - Canada

I am still preop but........from everyone I have spoke to and all of those that I know personally that have had it done...........they always say they would do it again. Even despite complications. I am curious to hear if anyone does have regrets though. Good question

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

Sunny123
on 2/2/14 10:11 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

No, not yet!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Catw
on 2/2/14 10:21 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I never had the buyer's remorse, but I have seen a couple people who mention it.  It's usually said at a time when they are dealing with complications.  But once the complications are sorted out, they are very happy with the surgery.  As you said, there is a time when hormones are out of wack, and when you hit a big bump during that time, you can react differently than you do when things calm down.

If you do start feeling emotional, or depressed, it's important to talk to someone about it.

Cathy

Patm
on 2/2/14 11:08 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was so prepared and so eager for this surgery that I have never regretted it. I have always focused on the victories of weight loss. Plus I have been blessed with no complications.

Dar_Mab
on 2/2/14 11:13 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Never had buyer's remorse.  Even when I developed an internal hernia which required emergency surgery @ 9 months which is a complication from bariatric surgery.   I have lost 160+ pounds, got rid of my type 2 diabetes, have more energy, feel and look great!    No regrets whatsoever .

Dar

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Laurie C.
on 2/2/14 11:51 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

no regrets here, luv my RNY

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

zillah
on 2/2/14 11:57 pm

I'm 6 weeks out and no regrets at all.  It has been smooth sailing all the way.

TurnThePage
on 2/3/14 1:09 am

I had buyer's remorse.  Lasted, oh, maybe 15 minutes the first time I felt stymied by something in my eating program. Then I realized it was just a very small speed bump on the road to getting a whole lot healthier and happier.  It happens to some people, but usually it is very fleeting. Being of sound mind, making conscious observations and being as pragmatic as Mr. Spock doesn't mean you are not human and subject to doubt and hormonal changes; but it certainly helps you keep them in perspective.

The post-op hormonal changes are short term, self limiting and can be managed in various ways. Just part of the process.  

TurnThePage
on 2/3/14 1:58 am

Several studies have shown that only 2% to 5% of morbidly obese people are successful at losing their excess weight and maintaining the weight loss long term via diet and exercise. 

It has been said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result.

When doubts arise, ask yourself how many years of your life you are willing to waste while beating your head against walls. 

Most Active