ambulance

Laurie C.
on 1/28/14 11:44 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Need some help here with my reactive glycemia,  I eneded up in hospital by ambulance with sugar of 1.6.

I ended up lying there X 5 hours before they got two 5.9 readings.  Any get aaway it was really scary and the

people in our emerg suggested  a glucomettur and strips.

Anyway how do I get started with this journey, do i call the Bariatric Nur, the Dieticien or who.  I think I need to

see an endocrinologist because I am not well.

SO who do I call.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

TanyaLH
on 1/28/14 5:16 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13

Sorry to hear that, hope you are feelin better.

Start with your family doctor.

Take care

birdiegirl
on 1/28/14 7:00 pm

Hi Laurie

I would speak with your center....and also make an appointment with your family doctor

RH can be managed......some have it more severely then others.......your family doc can give you a prescription for the glucometer and you purchase the strips.......the goal is obviously to avoid a sugar drop....I also carry glucose tabs in my purse - golf bag etc for a quick hit to bring my sugar back

Think about what you ate 30 minutes to one hour before you had the episode?....was it high carbs with no protein?,,,,or high sugar?.........If I have a handful or two of candy .....I know I will have RH to deal with in 30 minutes or less......or if I have a bagel with no other protein....same issue

The key is to ensure  you always combine protein with carbs....and of course to avoid too much sugar....especially if you are on a fairly empty stomach

Its scary.......I was on the golf course last week and was feeling cranky and a little disoriented....and then I realized what was happening when my legs started to get shaky.....so I sucked on a glucose tab and ate a protein bar until it passed

So.....really think of what you ate before the drop.....it will give you insight into what will cause RH for you.....then manage it

Take care

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/28/14 7:40 pm - Windsor, Canada

Hi Laurie

it is scary when it happens indeed.  I have passed out twice and have been 1.1 while conscious.  

While it can be scary, it's a temporary thing that doesn't have to happen.  

First, are you sure it is reactive hypo?  There's two kinds.  Regular hypo fromnot eating frequently enough and RH from eating too many carbs or sugar.  Both have an easy remedy - regular hypo (eat more frequently) and RH (eat less carbs). 

I had a friend who had a French vanilla  cappuccino from Tim's as her first experience.  It had 55 or so grams of sugar so I wasn't surprised.  Anything over 25 carbs is a problem generally especially when it comes to simple carbs.  

So what was your trigger? 

Getting a glucometer is a good thing. Monitor and learn how your body reacts.  Typically blood sugars plummet sometime between 1-2 hours after eating anything carby. So if you find that at a certain point you start dropping, you counterbalance it so as to bring your sugar up again.  It's really quite simple.

send me your email if you'd like a pamphlet. 

generally  the most the centre is going to say is to manage your diet and watch the carbs/sugars. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

alysan
on 1/28/14 8:11 pm - Canada

Tip:  Once you get a script from your doctor, look for an online coupon for a free glucometer.  Alot of times you can get one for free if you buy the strips. 

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Laurie C.
on 1/28/14 8:37 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Totally my bad, I ate jelly beans on an empty tummy.  Then to bring sugar back up I had cornsyrup and a small sandwich.  Of course a couple hours later

my sugar dropped again due to the cornsyrup.  Terrible headache with it.  I think I'll have to script my diet closer and have snacks more often.  I would

appreciate the pamphlet.  I wonder about the endocrinologist because my parameters seem to be becoming narrower.  I seem to have a perpetual headache

also.  This is my worst reaction, glad my husband was here 'cause I couldn't string words together and just wanted to sleep. 

My email is chesney2@sympatico.ca for the pamphlet.

Thanks for your help and concernl

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

alysan
on 1/28/14 8:44 pm - Canada

I am diabetic.  I know how hard it is to regulate your sugars.  I was always taught to have a protein with a carb, it will help the extreme highs and lows.

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Catw
on 1/30/14 1:39 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Laurie,

When you talk to a doctor, if they do tell you to get a tester, ask for a pescription for the needles and the strips.  If you have drug benifits, they may cover it, if you have perscription.  If you are journaling your food, include the description of symptoms and when they happen.  Taking this to the doctor will help him/her out.

Cathy

Most Active