Your daily menu

19star71
on 1/26/14 1:15 am

I like the "What are you eating today" thread, but I always wonder how people plan for each day.

Do you limit each meal to a specific total?****protein, calories, fat, sugar etc

For example: 1000  daily calories- 300 ( for dinner) - 200 (for breakfast) - 200 (for lunch) - 100 (snacks x 3)

Do you choose one meal regardless of its totals and then adjust the others accordingly?

For example: dinner is going to be 500 calories so I need to adjust the other meals and may have to skip on a snack

Do you have another method? A combination of plans?

Thanks,

CC

Leanne1
on 1/26/14 1:30 am - Newmarket, Canada

I just plan with foods that I like to eat. I guestimate my totals (this far out, I have a pretty good idea of what totals foods have)

I try to go for protein first. (Not going to lie, I had surgery recently and I am just trying to manage getting in what I can)

I think a 500 cal dinner is waaayyyyy toooo much, I couldn't even imagine eat like that. 

"For example: 1000  daily calories- 300 ( for dinner) - 200 (for breakfast) - 200 (for lunch) - 100 (snacks x 3)"   this seems pretty reasonable/doable.

The centre will give you a guide, follow it. It should have a menu plan in it.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

19star71
on 1/26/14 2:12 am

Thanks for the response!

The 500 was simply an exaggeration to reflect one main meal and how to adjust accordingly. 

Maybe a better example:

Getting 30g of protein at breakfast and dividing the remaining 30g throughout the day ( 60g being the minimum)

OR

Breakfast, lunch and dinner each need 15g and each snack(3) gets 5g...these are all minimums ;)

Leanne1
on 1/26/14 6:48 am - Newmarket, Canada

I agree with Sunny too... open a myfitnesspal acct

Some things you eat will be higher in protein than other things but all protein foods count.

I never just aimed for the "60g" that they told me; I aimed for much higher...80-120g per day. 

I also suggest, maybe looking up some nut info for the foods that are on your list... 1 lg egg = 6g protein; 30g cheese = 7g protein; 1/2cup cottage cheese = 15g protein. Yoguart (the source) = 4g protein.... and of course the list goes on... 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Sunny123
on 1/26/14 2:38 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I have a good idea what foods are high in protein and try to construct around that.

I would recommend opening a fitnesspal account - it has a huge database of foods and you can add your own foods and recipes as well.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

PepperBB
on 1/26/14 5:32 am - Canada

I agree with Sunny, myfitnesspal has been a huge help for me. 

Like the others have said, I watch my protein, and then plan my day around it. I also do no****ch the calories as much as I watch my portion size. 

i have found that logging with the "what are you eating/doing" has been a great help, and you have to plan your meals in advance, which takes a lot of the guess work out of your day, and the people who post on there are helpful. 

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

dragongirl_76
on 1/26/14 7:17 am

It seems like anything with less than 10g of protein is not even worth eating.

Nerak
on 1/26/14 7:48 am - Canada

I don't really obsess about what I am eating. I want to get away from constantly thinking about food and do other things. Like some other people here, I focus on getting in protein and veges. The starches are a small proportion. I was taught by the dietician to use a small plate (which I was already in the habit of doing) and half should be lean protein, the remaining half should be 2/3 veges and 1/3 starch. I try to follow this guideline. I also am learning that it is not what I do once in awhile but what I do most of the time that counts. I refuse to be a zealot about food. If I love something I have it but wayyyyyyyyy less. I don't count calories - I jus****ch portions. It's very liberating to not be spending most of my time preparing for, procuring and eating and then tracking meals. 

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

dragongirl_76
on 1/27/14 9:54 am

Personally, i hate MFP. I find it very onerous. Its easier to just write it out and google the nuts.

for me i also find it much easier to just stick to the same foods with very little variety. This way i dont have to think about what i 'feel' like eating, and i know what will go down and stay down. I have had trouble with new foods in the past so i am wary.

Most Active