Incision - is this a problem?

CBarnes11
on 1/21/14 2:39 am - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

I seem to be having a little trouble with one of my incisions. 

This morning when I was getting dressed, I noticed that I have a stitch hanging out of my incision on one end of it, I don't think that is a big deal, it will eventually just fall out right?

However the other end of the incision which seems to be healing up pretty well seems to be weeping a little bit, a cloudy, kind of milky looking fluid, it isn't puss, it is more like a liquid.  Should I be worried?  Is this a normal part of the healing?

Surgery Scheduled for December 19, 2013.  MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!

CBarnes11
on 1/21/14 2:42 am - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

Oh I should add - there is no pain and only a little redness around the site.

Northernlightsmom
on 1/21/14 3:13 am, edited 1/21/14 3:13 am - Canada

It could be the beginning of an infection(only thinking this as you are a month post op).....but I am not a doctor `)

Have it checked out now just in case.....a little antibiotics and it should clear up.

Not sure about the stitch but they often work their way out on their own.

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

KristieA
on 1/21/14 3:18 am - Orillia, Canada

I had the same thing in all of my incisions. My body does not like dissolving stitches so they end up coming out of the incisions.  Doesn't sound like it is anything to worry about.  If it is warm or red that would be the sign of infection I would think.  If you aren't sure maybe see your family doc, but sounds like it is normal.

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Katie M.
on 1/21/14 3:20 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Not sure about the liquid, call your centre or see your family doc if you are concerned or your incision feels warmer than usual or gets really red. But I had string hanging out of three of my incisions, the nurse said it was no problem. Just don't pull on the string (obviously, lol) and if it gets really long you can very carefully take some scissors and trim the string down. Mine disappeared after awhile, but it took longer than I thought it would!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/14 3:37 am

Hi Katie. How long DOES it take ? I've never seen hanging strings from incisions before and I might be fainting through whole recovery :)

Katie M.
on 1/21/14 3:54 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I think by about 6-8 weeks the strings had disappeared :) It wasn't gross or anything, and at first I thought they were just raised pieces of skin until I brushed a towel over my stomach a little too firmly one day and then I could see they were bits of string. It's not like the wounds are open or anything, you just see a teeny tiny hole with a bit of string coming out. And mine weren't long enough to ever need trimming either, so they don't hang down or anything :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

CBarnes11
on 1/21/14 3:46 am - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

Thanks everyone,

I don't seem to have any redness to speak of and it isn't warm to the touch.  I think I will use a little polysporin on it over the next day or so and just keep an eye on it.

Cindy

Katie M.
on 1/21/14 3:52 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Ask your doctor before putting on Polysporin. I asked the nurse at TWH about that and she said not to use any topical ointments because it can interfere with the healing going on inside, and you need to let your body take care of itself without interference. Unless there is an infection, then they look at using ointments but otherwise we're supposed to leave it all alone. Just check first :)

sellarsgal
on 1/21/14 11:26 am - Oshawa, Canada

When I had my gallbladder out laprascopically in May I had the same thing, My issue was the little knots in the sutures just under the skin, and little hard threads poking out in 2 places. There was a small lump so I squeezed gently and it popped out like a pimple. I put just a dab of polysporin and it healed up quickly after that. I guess the knot was too big to dissolve ? Anyway I hope that's all it is for you! 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Most Active