2 yr surgerversary

Patm
on 1/20/14 10:53 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It has been a busy 2 years. When I went into this surgery I wanted off meds, more mobility and a more active life. Well two years later I have it all.

I no longer take two medications for high blood pressure. In fact I have had some issues with low blood pressure. This also means my atrial fibuation is now almost gone. My cardiologist is thrilled. I no longer take metformin for diabetes.

Before surgery I had very sever sleep apnea. So although it has gotten better it is not resolved. I have been told I could probably use just a mouth piece. Perhaps in the future it will get better.

Before surgery I would very seldom go for a long walk. I was in just too much pain all the time. I would have to decide if I could make it to a destination and then make it back. Some days just getting home from work was a chore. On really bad days I would even drive to work.  I did do some biking but it was always exhausting.

Now I walk everywhere I can. I go for long walks on the weekend with my dog and enjoy them. I still have pain but it is now manageable.

My husband and I love to bike. At 9 mths out from my surgery, we did a 30 km ride for MS. Last summer we did 3 zip lines. Each one longer and higher. I would never have tried this before. We camp again and take our bikes everywhere.  I am willing to now try anything, Including rides at Wonderland. This turned out to be a really bad idea since the banging around hurt like hell!

I feel that my life started at 60.

Things I wish I known.  Work on my head issues. They did not go away. have good days and bad but always go back to the basics.  I know I will always have to work on this. I think we assume people we consider normal are not tempted. I think they are just say no more often.

Use the first 18mths wisely. This is the window of opportunity to lose the most weight. It gets harder the longer you are out.

I love my RNY and just wish I had done it years ago

kristaeb
on 1/20/14 11:02 pm

Pat , you are an inspiration . Congtrats on your success...broken heart...Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Patm
on 1/20/14 11:15 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks. You are doing pretty fantastic yourself

Hennagirliegirl
on 1/20/14 11:39 pm - Canada

broken heartWow, you've really embraced life again, good for you! 

Cheers, Terri

Test

Patm
on 1/21/14 5:19 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

At my age life is too short to sit back andlet it pass me by LOL

Sunny123
on 1/21/14 12:36 am
RNY on 12/05/13

What a wonderful post!

You are so right, I had my first craving for sugar yesterday...I am totally afraid to try anything because of dumping.

Your post reminded me that the surgery is not the end all to be all, we have to work at cravings and to not give up if we slip.

Thanks for all you do!

Jo

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Patm
on 1/21/14 12:37 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Glad it helped. Craving are a pain

Nanato2
on 1/21/14 1:37 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Happy 2 years Pat you are an inspiration to many of us.

Lynn

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Patm
on 1/21/14 5:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks. Hope to see you soon

libra1
on 1/21/14 1:54 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Congratulations on your 2 years of hard work and life changing results. Your post is both inspirational and realistic.

Cheers to you ! broken heart

Most Active