going on vacation shortly after surgery

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/14 11:38 am, edited 1/20/14 11:39 am

Anyone did that ? I was planning a trip in October, and if everything goes well, I should have my surgery by summer time. Is that too risky ? I heard opinions that if you do surgery in Mexico and have a surgery related incident, no doctor here will touch you. Would that be the same if I went to US ? or Europe ?

Susan M.
on 1/20/14 3:52 pm

I'm only 5 weeks post op, and with the flu I got, feeling pretty craptastic atm.  If it weren't for the flu though, I think i'd be feeling more normal now.  With any luck I will be traveling in July.  I think if you have no complications traveling 3 or so months out would be fine.

birdiegirl
on 1/20/14 7:20 pm

I went on a golf trip 6 weeks post surgery.....I made sure I got some rest....and didn't swing at the ball as hard as normal.....I packed my  food in a cooler to take with me during the day......I made it work

Monica M.
on 1/20/14 7:35 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

as long as you're not planning on doing some mountain climbing, or going on a cycling tour of Europe, you should be fine. Your travel insurance may be a bit higher, traveling after major surgery, but you should be fine.

Mary A.
on 1/27/14 3:35 am

by that time you will be at least 2-3 months post-op..provided your surgery date isn't later..you will have a good handle by then on what you should and shouldn't eat..all I would say is depending on where you are going, watch the fresh fish or things that could carry contaminants and make sure you are will vaccinated against Hep.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/14 3:43 am

Thank you, Mary, good point

Most Active