I need advice from those of you with kids

Onward and
Downward

on 1/20/14 3:34 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

The gym doesn't work for me either, not just because of the time issue but also because of inclination.  So I'm finding other ways to add activity to my day, such as always taking the stairs at work, going out for a walk at lunch time, etc.  I find that those ways are much easier for me than trying to go to a gym.

If there are evenings that your husband has the kids, make those your gym days if possible?

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Monica M.
on 1/20/14 4:39 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

you find the time for what matters. Yes, its hard. So much easier to make excuses. Look for day care, ask for help from husband, who's saying he can't take the kids outside of his assigned time. There is no way to make it appealing. Write down your excuses, write down why they're bogus or legit, and move on from there. Most of my excuses are bogus, i've found.

NorthernStar
on 1/20/14 5:37 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Would working out at home be easier for your lifestyle? You could do it on a lunch break from your home office while the kids are at school, in the morning before they get up or in the afternoon before they go to bed. Maybe the gym is the problem.

I joined the gym last summer and the last 2 months have found it is difficult to get there. I won't be renewing my membership because it is easier to work out at home and I enjoy it more. Getting to the gym can be a legit obstacle. I'm all for making your life easier and working with what you know you will do. That said, if you won't work out on your own, or won't work out as hard or whatever, then by all means the gym can be an awesome place to go.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

4-Jane
on 1/20/14 8:13 am - Canada

Could you find someone that could come into your home to sit with the kids after they are sleeping and go for a couple hours.  Given you have one that may need stability you could arrange for weekly play dates where he or she interacts with your children while your home and then returns after they are asleep, so you can hit the gym.  If they are a college student they may drive and they might enjoy the extra cash.  I go to the gym late every night, it's what works best for me, I hope you find something that works for you..... Your worth a few hours a day, and then some.  Best wishes

Respectfully Jane
Lolabug
on 1/20/14 10:58 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

The only thing that works for me is to go to the gym first thing in the morning. by that, I mean that I get up at 5:15 and go. Back by 7.

I would imagine that your x is still home during those hours. I am by no means a morning person by any stretch of the imagination but I do feel better during the day and have more energy when I exercise first thing. I always find that counter-intuitive but it does work that way.

If the kids happen to get up early, let your x deal with it as you already do the drop off and pick up detail.

I know that it seems really hard to do that. Just take the first step and do it. Even if you don't feel like it, say "I'll go for 10 minutes and if I don't want to stay I'll go home". You'll probably find that once you are there, you will stay. And, even if you go back home, 10 minutes of exercise is better than none and you have already proved that you can do it.

Good luck.

Pamela.S.
on 1/21/14 6:46 am - Canada

#1 - Congrats on your weight loss!

#2 - Congrats on being able to live in the same house with your Ex!

#3 - Congrats on keeping it together - you work, you have 3 kids - WOW - that's already pretty busy

Give yourself some credit for all the wonderful things you have done and are doing each and everyday.

Working out of the house can be difficult because you might not have a set schedule - do you have a "lunch hour"?  Maybe that could be a time you set aside for yourself - exercise for 30 minutes and just chill for the rest.  You need to take care of your mental health too!

I know you asked for a kick in the butt, but I think that sometimes we are too hard on ourselves and need to give ourselves a "hug" every now and then.

Can you partner with someone who can go for a 15 minute walk with you every few days?

Get the EX involved - maybe the early morning thing could work.

I wish you all the best!

Be kind to yourself - you've achieved quite alot and you need to believe in yourself - you can do it.......10 minutes..........you can do it.........

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

enuno
on 1/21/14 7:02 am - TX

i was in the same boat as you i am a first time mommy and i got prego in April 2012 and had my daughter in Jan 2013. It has not been easy for me to go back to work be a mommy and a wife at the same time. i felt that i was leaving my daughter too long with the baby sitter having me work Monday thru Friday 8-5 and off on week ends, so did not want to take more time from her to do my work out (felt kind of Self centered and selfish). Given that my week ends are very busy catching up with cleaning and doing my running around i don't worry about working out those days. but i did manage to work in my work out time during my lunch hour. i strive to work out at noon (15 min cardio for worm up and then Strech then do weights for muscle  build up). Maybe for you it will work out fitting it after drop off since your already out and about might as well take that half our or hour to work out since you are kid free at that time.

Most Active