what's your favourite post-op meal/food?

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/14 9:40 am, edited 1/19/14 11:32 am

i'm going on 3 months post up (wow - time flies!!!) and can you imagine that my favourite post-op food is SOUP?  ROFL!!

* Home made chicken soup with vermicelli noodles.  

* Creme of mushroom soup with chicken chunks.

* Wonton soup (with 2 wontons and lots of cabbage).  I get it from a place that doesn't use MSG and customizes it for me with only 2 wontons and packed with cabbage and broth.

It is consistently delicious, goes down easy with no significant discomfort, easy portion control, protein packed, low in calorie, and moderate in carbs, warm and PERFECT for the fall and winter months!!!!!!!!

I am also digging stews:

* Home made eggplant stew (w/ beef chunks or 2-day marinated steak cut up into chunks)

For drinks, my regulars are:

* My home made soy earl grey latte w/ 1 scoop vanilla protein powder

* McDonald's skim milk latte w/ 1 Splenda (small or medium size - depending on my hunger)

and my every day "go-to" drink:  

* 1 can of Nestea Zero into my 500 ml container + 3 ice cubes + filled to the top with filtered water.  I find myself always drinking this in the evening -- so awesome!!!  Once I drank this twice in one day -- along with my green teas I am really happy to be getting in all of my non-cal liquids.

Please share your "go-to" foods/meals!!  

dragongirl_76
on 1/19/14 10:34 am

The only thing i can consistently keep in me is poached eggs, eaten very slowly of course. 

I have plans of making a couple things tmw and hope they work out! Libras diced tomatoe w/ground turkey. And spaghetti squash w/marinara and ricotta.

wish me luck!

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/14 11:25 am

spaghetti squash?  wow -- that sounds amazing!  i am going to have to look that up online.  ricotta is amazing ....  

Nerak
on 1/19/14 11:17 am - Canada

I love soup too! My favourites are a split pea soup (yellow) with ham and my other is lentil or minestrone. ALL good! 

I also like bacon (cooked to a nice crisp consistency) and yogourt (my go to with a little added milk powder). 

I like to eat stir fried cabbage and szechuan style eggplant.  I make my own home made wontons! The first time I ever made them (about 20 years ago) it took  me ages....but now, I can fly through it! Try it out!

Love this list !

PS I love nuts too - they are full of protein and go down easily for me. (maybe because they can be easily chewed). 

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/14 11:30 am

szechaun style eggplant sounds yummy.  i once had Chinese eggplant at a chinese buffet -- i think it had a szechuan sauce.  do you make your own sauce or is it bottled?  i have a huge chinese supermarket down the street -- i think i may go get some of these with the sauce and see how it goes.  

i am really happy that i am able to eat vegetables again -- broccoli has always been my favourite and i am thrilled that it seems to go down well (stirfried still crisp even!!).

Nerak
on 1/19/14 11:45 am - Canada

Picantesun, here is the recipefpr Sichuan Style Eggplant:

2 eggplants (I used the thin Italian style eggplants or the real asian eggplants) for a total of about 1kg. 

1 2/3 cups peanut oil

1 tsp of finely grated ginger

1 tsp of finely chopped garlic

Sauce:

5 Tbsp dark soy sauce

4 tsp vinegar

4 tsp chinese wine or dry sherry

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp sesame oil

1 tsp chili oil (optional)

1-2 tsp sweet chili sauce

• Prepare sauce mixture and stir for sugar to dissolve
  • Clean and cut eggplant to 2 in in length and about 1 in thick
  • Heat oil in a wok and cook eggplant until golden brown
  • Remove when dark golden brown and drain on paper towels
  • Pour oil off except for 1 tbsp add ginger and garlic and cook over medium heat until golden
  • add sauce to pan, bring to a boil and return eggplant to pan and reheat in the sauce. 
  • Serve with rice or noodles. (Can also be served cold but do not leave in wok or a metallic taste can develop). 
  • Serves 6 

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/14 10:57 am

all from scratch -- NATURAL -- AWESOME!!  

i think i can live on eggplant if i could try.  i am starting to get irritated by chicken and beef (eating it too often) so just picked up a block of extra firm tofu.  This would go PERFECT with the tofu.

thursday is my son's late choir day so it gives me extra time to make him a really nice, hearty dinner.  i am going to make his favourite eggplant stew, but will take some aside in a seperate pot and try this recipie out -- with chunks of the tofu mixed in.  i'll tell you how it goes!  THANKS!!!  

Mary A.
on 1/20/14 11:37 pm, edited 1/20/14 11:38 pm
On January 19, 2014 at 5:40 PM Pacific Time, Picantesun wrote:

i'm going on 3 months post up (wow - time flies!!!) and can you imagine that my favourite post-op food is SOUP?  ROFL!!

* Home made chicken soup with vermicelli noodles.  

* Creme of mushroom soup with chicken chunks.

* Wonton soup (with 2 wontons and lots of cabbage).  I get it from a place that doesn't use MSG and customizes it for me with only 2 wontons and packed with cabbage and broth.

It is consistently delicious, goes down easy with no significant discomfort, easy portion control, protein packed, low in calorie, and moderate in carbs, warm and PERFECT for the fall and winter months!!!!!!!!

I am also digging stews:

* Home made eggplant stew (w/ beef chunks or 2-day marinated steak cut up into chunks)

For drinks, my regulars are:

* My home made soy earl grey latte w/ 1 scoop vanilla protein powder

* McDonald's skim milk latte w/ 1 Splenda (small or medium size - depending on my hunger)

and my every day "go-to" drink:  

* 1 can of Nestea Zero into my 500 ml container + 3 ice cubes + filled to the top with filtered water.  I find myself always drinking this in the evening -- so awesome!!!  Once I drank this twice in one day -- along with my green teas I am really happy to be getting in all of my non-cal liquids.

Please share your "go-to" foods/meals!!  

wow I never knew that McDonalds can make a skim milk latter....COOL

also don't you find the wonton wrap around the wontons, just too much filler???  I would rather just eat the meat inside..LOL

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Mary A.
on 1/20/14 11:45 pm, edited 1/20/14 11:45 pm

I don't have  alot of favourite foods at 5 yrs post-op...

I do love ribs...barbecued with a nice coating of sauce or just spices..that's my all time favourite

• next is pan fried shrimp, with garlic and butter..(this is for birthdays and our anniversary) as we are not big on eating out.
  • Oikos greek yougurt...at first I didn't like it at all, now I absolutly love the vanilla and if fresh fruit is available I like to add some blueberries, strawberries
  • chicken drumsticks just baked in the oven
  • beef jerky is my #1 treat...there is a place here that makes it fresh..and when I need a snack I pack 3 or 4 slices into a ziploc bag and that's my treat
  • My "go to" beverages include Nestea Zero and Crystal LIght (tea flavour), all the other Crystal light flavours taste horrid to me..and I have tried a lot of them Oh when I can get some SF Arizona lemonade I Like that in an individual size portion also
  • plain oatmeal with a little brown sugar and my little I mean 1/2 tsp

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active