One Year Post Op

xoxlovexox
on 1/19/14 12:20 am - Barrie, Canada

In a year I've lost 103 pounds. I started out this journey weighing 267 today I weigh 164. Which is completely amazing and I still can't believe it when I look in the mirror. This was the best decision I've ever made, no regrets. It's been a good yet hard year with a lot of ups and downs. Going into this I thought lose the weight fix all my "problems" health wise and the way I view myself in the mirror is a lot better but this surgery didn't fix the other problems that for me contributed to my weight gain. That's probably been one of the hardest things for me I use to blame all that was "wrong" with me due to my weight but now I don't have the weight to blame its me and stuff I need to work on. For me loosing the weight came way easier then loosing the way I feel and treat myself poorly. I've definitely have had to deal with why I gained that weight and realize and fix those issue. But I'm so grateful the weight is gone and I can truly focus on the real feelings without blaming anything. 

The scale can be your best friend one week and your enemy the next but I think you just need to focus on the end results don't worry week to week the weight will come off like anything in life there are ups and downs. The first months post up I would lose a pound and then not lose anything the next I drove myself crazy with the scale when I finally just decided to stop obsessing over it and not weighing myself everyday I lost. It will come off just takes time and hard work. But it so pays off as you reach little personal goals you've set for yourself, best feeling ever. I focused on those feelings when I felt discouraged and it puts things in perspective.    The Bariatric team is amazing! Prior to surgery I was scared about living far way and if I ever had complications and needed surgery again. That did happen 3 times, gallbladder removal, hernia repair and twisted bowel. Each time I went to my local hospital they called Humber and each time they rushed me to Humber and operated. They took it seriously and wanted me at that hospital no where else. One of the surgeons said we want to operate on our own. Each and every surgery I had with 3 different Bariatric surgeon was incredible. I'm so glad all the worrying prior was for no reason.    This whole experience is life changing and so worth all the ups and downs. If I could go back a year and tell myself anything it would be to not obsess with the scale just listen to your body and follow what your suppose to be doing, that it will all work out. Enjoy the little victories cause the hard work your doing deserves to be celebrated. Losing weight and becoming the best possible you isn't easy but it's so worth it. Love yourself first and everything else falls into place. 
G_mama_d
on 1/19/14 12:29 am - North Bay, Canada

Thank you for your honest heartfelt post. Being only a month out, i love hearing other peoples experiences. Good luck in the future.

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

Zizzler
on 1/19/14 2:34 am

Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it.  As a pre-op my fears include complications such as the ones you went through. It is comforting to know that even with complications people feel it is totally worthwhile and have no regrets.  I guess it is just one of those things were you can only understand it once you experience it. 

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Alice-58_.
on 1/19/14 3:08 am
VSG on 02/26/13

Wow, well said. I'm nearing a year post op and haven't had the surgical complications you have had but I can certainly relate to all the other "stuff" you have dealt with....still dealing with. I was moved by your words. Thanks for sharing.

Live near Bayfield. Referral June 2011 to Windsor Bariatric Referral Center. July asked to be transferred to Guelph as closer but file got lost..  Orientation Nov 2011, Guelph. Nurse,Nut and SW X3 mid 2012. Surgeon Dec 2012. VGS Surgery Feb 26 2013 Dr Jules Guelph

merry1
on 1/19/14 3:13 am - Canada

Its quite a journey, thanks for sharing.  I struggle greatly with self esteem issues and before surgery thought that this would solve the problem.  I have found that although I like myself more, self esteem is something that comes from within and body image is only a part of it. It doesn't happen overnight - drat!  I too have stopped looking at the scales all the time and I keep at it, some days are better than others too~  I a  m very fond of myfitnesspal and log on daily.  It is a wonderful tool and easy to use.  Thanks so much for your wonderful post!

Northernlightsmom
on 1/19/14 6:40 am - Canada

Wow Thank you so much for this post.

It is so encouraging and honest. Congrats on all you success!

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

kimber291
on 1/19/14 6:53 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14
Thank you so much for sharing your story with all of us. I am pre op, I meet with Dr Klein this Wednesday for my 2nd visit. Hoping all will go well and I will receive a date.    Prior to your surgery, did you have gallstones or did you develop problems after? I just found out two weeks ago that I have gallstones and sludge showing in my gallbladder, hoping he will take it out when I have my surgery. I don't want problems afterwards. It just makes sense to me that he does it.    Thank you again, and keep up the great work! And if things ever do get tough for you, you should refer back to this post. Print it off for those rough days....as I am sure we all have them.  K

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

xoxlovexox
on 1/19/14 7:35 am - Barrie, Canada

I developed them after, hopefully they will just take it out, so you don't have to another surgery.  Dr. Klein is the doctor who fixed my twisted bowel, he's great. Best of luck to you!!   

kimber291
on 1/19/14 7:38 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Thank you, I am hoping he will. So nice to here such positive things about my surgeon :-)

Thanks again 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Patm
on 1/19/14 8:57 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

thak you for sharing and being honest. Dealing with our other issues is definitely they way to long term sucess I think. Good luck to you

Most Active