HRRH Surgeons - your review

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/14 10:59 pm, edited 1/18/14 11:19 pm

Hi everyone, I know there are reviews on ratemd.com but I wanted to hear from your personal experiences about the surgery, complications (if any) and how the doctors handled that. Also, did anyone get a VSG from HRRH and what was your reasoning (if you don't mind sharing). I am looking into asking for a different surgeon or if that fails transfer to a different hospital. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dr. John Hagen
Dr. Lazar Klein
Dr. Quoc Huynh
Dr. Herpreet Sohi
Dr. David Starr

Robyn R.
on 1/19/14 1:02 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I am having surgery by Dr Hagen on Tuesday and I am having a RNY.  We discussed the VSG but it is OHIP that makes the decision in regards to VSG unless you choose to self pay.  I did not meet OHIP criteria for VSG.  If I self pay, I do not get my sick time covered which meant that I could not take this chance for a better life.  I have been obese for my entire life, and it is starting to affect my productivity at work and i am not living!.  I felt very comfortable when i met Dr Hagen.  I have been in healthcare for 25+ years and I have a spidey sense for surgeons and he did not set off any alarms.  My friends daughter had Dr. Sohi and they can not say enough great things about how he gave her back her life.  I have spoken to many who have had their surgery at HRH and they can not say enough good things about their surgeons.  Complications are possible anytime you have surgery and this team likes to fix their own issues.  I have seen many other programs in this province run the same way.  If you have an issue, you come to us as we will fix it.

Can i ask why you want a different surgeon?  You got to remember, most people go into surgery because they dont like to be touchy feely and talk with people.  Their personality does not mean that they are bad at their job.  In my professional experience, the ones with no personality are the best damn surgeons in their field.

You also have to remember to take rate md with a grain of salt.  You have no idea who those individuals are

Hope my 2 cents helps.  Fate has given you that surgeon, put your faith in the universe and decide what you want.  The HRH program is the first to reach american designation so they must be doing something right.

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

LittleMiss2013
on 1/19/14 1:56 am, edited 1/19/14 1:59 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Hopefully I don't jinx myself, lol. I had Dr.Klein, and have my 3 month update with him tomorrow. I found him to be....quick but efficient. The team at HRRH are supposed to be the best. I found my stay there very pleasant and they were really attentive. Dr.Klein did a good job (so far, fingers crossed, lol). Even my anesthesiologist was excited when he found out I would be having surgery with Dr.Klein. Said he was his favorite and that I was in good hands. The hospital staff from pre-surgery to post were ALL super nice and helpful..... except one nurse who must have been having an off day, lol. I usually find hospital staff to be a bit ....... harsh and not the friendliest people .......but Humber really was exceptional. He is friendly....... he hasn't killed me so far....so THAT'S always a bonus with any doctor, lol  =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/14 2:45 am

Thanks for replies, guys. I am with Dr. Sohi and I just didn't feel it with him. It's a very complex operation and there should be some trust but I just don't know. I actually became more scared after the appointment than I was before

sellarsgal
on 1/19/14 3:21 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hi there, I am going with Dr Sohi as well, I just had my consultation with him. I know what you mean about not feeling it with him but I know first hand he is a good surgeon, My husband had his RnY Dec 2012  He loved Dr Sohi and Dr Sohi did a great job. If you feel aprehensive that might be a sign  but I don't find surgeons very personable anyway. lol

Good luck with your decision!

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/14 3:27 am

thank you for reply. I am not a touchy-feely person, so I didn't really need any hand holding and he was very courteous, thorough and professional. I think I just read too many reviews and recent complications from the board members that just stuck in my head.

MarkES
on 1/19/14 7:12 am - Oshawa, Canada

As SellarsGal mentions, Dr Sohi did my surgery.  I have had no complications and I am happy with my results so far! 

Ref Jul 4, 2012,  Orientation Aug 27,  Surgeon Aug 31, RD Sept 18,  SW RD & RN Oct 18, Internist Nov 5, Surgeon Nov 21,  PATTS Nov 29, Surgery Dec 14,2012 (HRRH - Dr Sohi).

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/14 7:26 am

thank you for posting !

leap
on 1/19/14 3:40 am - Canada

3 years ago dr. Sohi  did my RNY  great  surgeon  fast recovery no problems. 

leap         
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/14 3:44 am

thank you

Most Active