Sleeve with Dr.Sohi or at HRRH?!?!

Sassy75
on 1/17/14 11:02 am - North York, Canada

Which doctor did you see? I didn't see a friend request :(

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/14 11:06 am

Dr. Sohi. Didn't even discuss VSG. Said too complicated and more dangerous. I feel like screaming right now

Sassy75
on 1/17/14 11:12 am - North York, Canada

I can see your friend request but there is no where to accept it..... Maybe just weird on my iPad?!? 

Anyways, i have noticed that most sleeve patients on here went to TWH. 

I am sure Dr. Sohi is a great doctor but I would prefer more experience. And knowing I have a medical need for the sleeve there is no point wasting any more of my time. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/14 11:15 am

you have way more faith than me :) I will call HRRH and TWH on Monday to start ball rolling. I did my bloodwork today as well, hoping to grab everything and take with me.  It's messed up to be starting from scratch.

p.s. sent you a message. Not sure if the notifications are working

Sassy75
on 1/17/14 11:15 am - North York, Canada

Also, when I questioned him about his thoughts that it was more dangerous and told him of all my research he dismissed it saying that my research was from other countries (USA, Mexico, ect) and Canada had higher standards of care. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/14 11:19 am

seriously ? What a wad of crap. We are definitely behind US on PCOS research and treatment by good 10 years and I know this first hand. I am all for being patriotic but call things what they are, don't just cover your own inexperience. I definitely don't want to be a OR table guinea pig for a doctor like that

Steps78
on 1/17/14 11:30 am

Ok this Dr. Sohi sounds like a piece of work. Not only does he push the RNY because of his lack of skill with any other surgery, he also spouts crap statistics. I had my Sleeve done at TWH. I had my surgeons consult with a resident who's name escapes me. I listed the reasons why I felt the sleeve was the best choice for me, backed by various research and medical journals. Personally my main concern was the family history of stomach cancer and that the blind stomach in an RNY is almost impossible to scope or test until it's too late. The resident flat out told me that my reason was not good enough for most doctors, but my need for NSAIDs due to severe migraines, was. He believed, as do I, that the success of each surgery is dependent on the person. He believed (and most of TWH surgeons) that the sleeve is a viable form of weight loss surgery. 

Call the Bariatric Network and switch Centres. If anything switch doctors. How can you can you allow someone to cut you up that you have 0 confidence in  

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Sassy75
on 1/17/14 11:34 am - North York, Canada

I agree with you 100%. I am looking into switching currently. I have seen several great posts about Dr.Sohi and the bypass and one about the sleeve but I am not comfortable. And that is what's important. Do you recall who did your surgery and how long the process took? Appreciate your comments.

Steps78
on 1/17/14 12:03 pm

Dr. Okrainec did my surgery. I asked for Dr. Penner, was told Id have my consult with Dr. Jackson, actually had my consult with a resident (it's driving me nuts that I can't remember his name!&/&) and met Okrainec the day of the surgery lol. That's pretty much how it works if you go to TWH. I know others who have had the sleeve there and basically if you can back up the reasons for VSG you should be successful. I live in Windsor and it's been 9 months from orientation to surgery. I would think if you switched you wouldn't have to wait that long since all of your medical tests would be done etc. I bet if you call for cancelations you could zip right through. Best of luck!

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Sassy75
on 3/31/14 10:34 am - North York, Canada

Hi Steps, I was just wondering how you are doing? I tried to private message you but your profile is private.... 

Most Active