Sleever's?

katzmeow13
on 1/13/14 5:36 am

My brother lives in Quebec and has been waiting for almost 5 years for surgery. They prefer the sleeve in Quebec for some reason.... And they don't give nearly the same amount of information to prepare the patient. 

My fiancé and I have both had rny and want to help him as much as possible.

can anyone give me some info to pass along on major differences in follow up diet and supplements post surgery?

greatly appeciated

kat

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Nanato2
on 1/13/14 7:35 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I have had a VSG there is nothing different in way of vitamins, or diet.

VSGers and RNYers in Ontario follow the same plan.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

PaulaToronto
on 1/15/14 6:51 am - Toronto, Canada

My WLS center didn't have much info on VSG either so I took to the main VSG board on OH and also looked up many programs from  US docs that specialize in VSG. I found that the programs did differ from RNY and I don't think I would have been as successful if I had followed my surgeons program.

I basically followed Dr. Cirangle's program and there are many vets on the VSG board from that program who would probably email him the specific details. Dr. Cirangle promotes high protein low carb so basically to start off 60 grams of protein per day ( I got mine by drinking two protein drinks) and less than 20 carbs per day.)  I ate absolutely no starchy things for a year and only added a small amount of veggies after 3 months.  I ate no fruit my first year.  Yes this is strict but it worked for me. The ultimate goal in weight loss mode is to eat 80-100 grams of protein, less than 800 calories per day and less than 40 carbs per day.  If he follows this plan and drinks tons of water he will be successful. Many do add a bit of starch and fruit but I found that if I did I stopped losing.  I was diabetic pre surgery and very insulin sensitive.

He will find lots of support and ideas on the VSG board.

The goal is to always under eat your sleeve.  So never eat until stuffed.  I measured/weighed everything and to start could maybe eat 1 ounce at each meal.  At two years out I can eat 21/2 to 3 ounces of dense protein like steak, chicken, and two ounces of veg. 

Don't drink one half hour before eating and one hour after eating as this moves the food out and you will feel hungry sooner

On the VSG board he should search for and read the post on the pyloric valve - very helpful to anyone having this surgery.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

teachren
on 1/15/14 9:54 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

I had self pay VSG in Mesico by Dr. Guillermo Alvarez. I would recommend purchasing your brother Dr. Alvarez's book on the Sleeve. It outlines his eating plan which I have followed. I am down 125 pounds in 8 months. It is similar to Dr. Cirangle's program from what I have seen.

You can get it on amazon.

150 pounds gone for now! :-)  Initial goal weight of 170 lbs met on March 7, 2014.  My 44 year old bones survived hiking 4 days overland to a highest point of 4700 metres! Machu Picchu goal...CONQUERED!

Mochalocks12
on 1/18/14 6:07 am - Canada

I had the sleeve 5 months ago and am down 120 lbs! I love my sleeve! There is a great VSG forum on here with a lot of vets that are very active on the site, a lot of the participants are from the states, but the support is the same..... You can loose just as much with the sleeve as the RNY, you just got to stick to the plan....I still have 60-70 lbs to go, but I wouldn't change a thing!

Referral July 30, 2013..VSG BY Dr. Lloyd Smith Aug 12, 2013.  Pre OPTI weight: 350. Sw331 CW190

Most Active