14 months post op...on the out of control carb train!!!!

nancy4elton
on 1/12/14 9:11 am, edited 1/12/14 9:11 am

Hi everyone, I'm 14 months post op and have been below all my goals for several months. (SW 230, CW 112-115).  I've steadily been sliding off the wagon more and more frequently, and although my body has been very forgiving, and I can lose a few pounds and stabilize easily with just 1 or 2 days of healthy eating, I am EXTREMELY worried, scared and freaked out by my binging on crap! and how easily it goes down.  I'm still in that wonderful honeymoon phase, but this will end soon, I'm sure.  Today was the absolute worst day I've had - true confession time... I've been eating non stop all day and unlike my mostly healthy eating habits I've established and come to enjoy, it was all utter crap.  At least a dozen cookies, carrot cake with tons of icing, potato chips, ice cream bars, cinnamon bun, honey mustard pretzel chunks, the list goes on and on.  I'm so upset with myself.  This is the kind of behaviour I feared I would return to.  The more carbs I eat, the more carbs I want, and yet I feel powerless.  So, some questions.  What is the max amount of carbs per serving in any food that I should aim for, to maintain a low carb diet?  What is the max amount of carbs I should have in any one meal or snack. What about on a daily basis?  I am a vegetarian and rely on daily protein shakes, Greek yogurt, cheese and protein bars to get my protein requirements.  Thank you in advance for any advice and encouragement...I'm really scared and struggling.  Thanks in advance.

Julia P.
on 1/12/14 9:46 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Hugs... I've been going too crazy on the carbs lately too, and I don't dump on any sugar so it's making them hard to resist.  I do find that the more carbs you eat, the more you want.  I have started looking into the Paleo lifestyle as something I should be doing permanently.  It cuts out all carbs (except those in fruits and veggies), which I think I need because when I start having a little bread/chips/etc, I can't seem to stop.

You can kick carbs to the curb - you did it for an entire year, and I know you can do it again!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

Patm
on 1/12/14 9:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I also have had problems with eating. I would urge you to contact your centre for help. They have programs for learning to control eating. You will still have to work at it but they can give you some tools. When we had this surgery it only gave us a tool. We now need to learn to live with the new life style we have. This means dealing with the head issues that make us eat the crap food. I also find once you stay the sugar you need to purge it to stop the cravings.

I wish you good luck with this

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/12/14 11:54 am - Windsor, Canada

If you can get it out if your house.  If you cannot, at least get rid of triggers.  

The more sugar you eat, the more you crave.  Get out all the granola bars, snack packs, cookies. 

Focus on fruits veggies proteins.  

Write everything down.   Find a support system.  Drink lots of water. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Gabygee
on 1/12/14 10:20 pm - Canada

OMG, Diminishing Dawn - simple words, but SO TRUE

" If you can get it out if your house.  If you cannot, at least get rid of triggers.  

The more sugar you eat, the more you crave.  Get out all the granola bars, snack packs, cookies. 

Focus on fruits veggies proteins.  

Write everything down.   Find a support system.  Drink lots of water. "

All us post-ops need to remind ourselves of those words, at least once a week

Curious.George
on 1/13/14 2:06 am - Canada

I found that when I was eating sugar, I just could not get enough. Ever. So when I eat carbs, I want more carbs.  The only way for me to stop the cravings was to cut out the sugar/white flour altogether.  Now I do not crave any of it.  But I know that if I started again, I could not stop. Sugar is evil! Bread,buns,bagels,muffins, all that sort of crap is also evil! For me it has to be total abstinence.  Hang in there. Try to stick with proteins, veggies and fruit.  Take good care of yourself.

Marj

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

KathC
on 1/13/14 12:18 pm

Thanks for your post! I have also been going through the same thing, I have been feeling like a failure! Time for me to smarten up and get back to the basics!

good luck!

My second chance... November 15, 2012

Most Active