post op and protein??

Crystal82
on 1/9/14 9:10 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14
Ok so how does a person get all their protein in in a day when they aren't able to really eat or drink a whole lot! It's hard to mix in the extra powder when it's only a 1/4 cup portion of food.

Surgery January 6, 2014!

LilyBugsMommy
on 1/9/14 9:21 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I know in my experience, I had to work up to the amount they want us to have. I didn't get up to 60g per day until at least 4 weeks out. I think people assume that the first day home & forward, we will be consuming 60-90g of protein a day, but I don't remember that being expected by my centre (Ottawa). They told me to work up to it over the first few weeks.

The first week, I was lucky to get one shake (30g of protein) in each day. 

Around 4 weeks, I could get 60g in per day (half from food, half from protein bar or shake).

I think by about 2-3 months out I was able to get all of my protein by food.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Crystal82
on 1/9/14 9:23 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14
Ok well that's re assuring like u wouldn't believe.

Surgery January 6, 2014!

Katie M.
on 1/9/14 9:57 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Agreed, working up to your 60-80 g of protein is the way to do it. Add protein powder where you can, and drink your protein shake if your centre allows them, but don't try and jam all that protein in during the first few weeks :) I wasn't hitting 60 grams of protein until I was on soft foods!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

mispysmom
on 1/9/14 8:38 pm - elliot lake, Canada
Its very hard...idk.about u.but protien tasted sooooo gross to me in the beginning

Amanda

Zavz
on 1/10/14 1:57 am - Canada

I take one of the premium protein drinks (Costco 30 grams of protein) divide it by 3 and use that as the snacks thru the day. At each meal i have 1/4 cup Siloette Greek yogurt (8grams of protein) and add one tablespoon of skim milk powder (2 grams of protein) so that adds up to 60 grams and then the other things I eat are just a bonus

Susan M.
on 1/10/14 2:41 am

Protein powder tastes horrid to me as well, I put baby scoops in my yogurt and such so I *almost* (ha) can't tell.

Also, my sister told me to add it to my favoured water which depending on the amount did work, it made it easier to be getting it in nearly water form instead of something thick...

Mary A.
on 1/16/14 11:07 pm
On January 10, 2014 at 10:41 AM Pacific Time, Susan M. wrote:

Protein powder tastes horrid to me as well, I put baby scoops in my yogurt and such so I *almost* (ha) can't tell.

Also, my sister told me to add it to my favoured water which depending on the amount did work, it made it easier to be getting it in nearly water form instead of something thick...

seriously none of it tastes or smells "good" and it NEVER will

...the trick is to find a unflavoured protein that you can "doctor" with Sf syrups etc...when I was a new post-op...I must have tried at least 2 dozen different types, of shakes and protein whey powders..at that time the only thing I could handle were protein bullets (which were very expensive)

I finally settled on ISO Pro  LOW CARB/unflavoured and I put my own spin on it with either a couple of shots of SF syrup or a smal banana and 3 ice cubes and 2 tablespoons orange juice.

I also put it in a mug with a lid, that way you can't smell it. Even at 5 yrs post-op if my family is having Chinese food for dinner I make myself a shake, although I don;t drink them as much as I used to, I still do

And a reminder to all the NEWBIES..you CANNOT double up on scoops of protein in a shake and think that you are getting 40/60 grams of protein in a shake, it doesn't work like that your body will ONLY absorb approx 24-30 grams in any sitting, the rest is eliminated..thus  your attempt to double up on protein is just flushing $$$ down the toilet (literally)

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Steps78
on 1/17/14 10:26 am

I read this Mary elsewhere as well. Do you know if there is a time lapse needed for the protein to absorb? I'm able to drink 3 shakes a day and one yogurt and spread them out. Should I make sure they are spaced out over an hour apart for the protein to absorb? 

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

minou09
on 1/10/14 5:31 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I had the same issue too but I found the isomax peach chiller that had 27 gm of protein.  I would have 2-3 of those a day and it wasn't as thick and filling as the other protein drinks.

Referral: June 2012, Orientation: Feb 2013,Meet Surgeon: April 2013; Meet SW, RD, RN May 2013; Meet Surgeon again Aug 2013, Surgery Dec 10, 2013

Most Active