Do you change after WLS

Jessica S.
on 1/7/14 3:06 am - Ottawa, Canada

So we were having a discuss on our group on FB about how some people change after WLS, at first my thought was no I haven't changed but then I sat there and thought about it and well I think yes we do change, for some not always in a good way, I have met some that appear to have developed a sense of being superior to others because they have lost weight, even making pre op people feel horrible about their weight, making comments about how disgusting they were before surgery, in my mind I can't even begin to believe that someone that has been in that person's shoes and had probably been a victim of discrimination would have the nerve to now make another person feel horrible about themselves. You would think that those who have had to deal with those type of issues would be a sensitive soul and friend to others in the process but I guess sometimes you are truly just an ugly soul. Anyhow so that is one side of some that change, personally I believe that if you become that type of person you probably were a nasty person even at your heaviest.

Now the majority of the people I have met have changed but in a different way, for myself I believe I have changed a lot for the good side. I am more who I feel I was meant to be, I love expressing myself through art but also through my style, since loosing a lot of my weight I know have cut my hair in a very bold hair style, I love playing with my makeup and don't even get me started on clothes, I love them, yes I spend too much, but I love trying all sorts of crazy and awesome style. I love color and pattern.  I also think I am much stronger and will stand up for myself more because I am learning to love myself, before surgery I would stand up for everyone else and never let anyone disrespect my friends or family, even punched a guy once because he called my friend fat. In my eyes they were to important to me to not defend them, I wasn't, now it is different and I am starting to realize that I am just as important and everyone else in my life.  

I have bad days like everyone else and can be *****y but hey I'm a girl so I am entitled to those days lol

So to me yes we change but I think it is because our authentic self starts to emerge and those who treat us right get to experience the amazing side or us and those that took advantage of our kindness and we were too weak to love ourselves enough to stand up for ourselves, well they get to see the nasty side because now you are no longer that meek little puppet.

I do not regret my surgery one minute and yes I've changed in your eyes hopefully you get to see how amazing I can be.

PepperBB
on 1/7/14 4:51 am - Canada

Amazing post!

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

Jessica S.
on 1/7/14 5:11 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thank you very much 

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/7/14 6:14 am - Windsor, Canada

I think it is absolutely impossible to go through a life altering surgery and NOT change. 

I think that's part of the reason why SO MANY relationships change after surgery.  We become new people whether we become more active, more confident, more outgoing, more busy, more social...whatever. This surgery is life changing all around. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Jessica S.
on 1/7/14 6:21 am - Ottawa, Canada

Very true 

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/14 7:08 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I'm on the opposite side of the coin on this one.  I think some people do change but a lot don't.  I don't believe I have changed at all. I was always a strong, confident woman that took no **** from anyone and I am still that way.  I have always been a happy person, heavy or thin.  I've seen far too many ugly fat people and not ugly in looks either, ugly to the core and they think that losing weight will solve all their problems and guess what, they just become ugly thin people.   I think some people change a bit but most of us have the same personality.

Nathalie_Can
on 1/7/14 9:03 am

I'm with Tracey, I haven't changed...its funny because a couple of months ago, I was having a conversation with my MIL and she mentioned that she was scared that this journey, that the weight loss would change who I am and she said "but I'm glad you are the same caring and loving and stubborn person as before". Lol. I just said thanks because I remember thinking to myself that I better be careful and not change like so many I have read....but besides being more active, I can't think of anything.

great post

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Patm
on 1/7/14 10:05 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

When I hit 55 I decided to stop taking a lot of **** from people. But I was always in pain and found being happy a struggled most days. I am a much happier person now because I can tolerate what pain is left. I do find less discrimination from people.  But I am still the same insecure neurotic person I was before just a little happier with it LOL

Most Active